Sign in to follow this  
basslover12345

Rods And Reels Ready For Tournaments

When you get your rods and reels ready for tournaments, what steps do you take to get them ready? I just got Fresh line on my reels, I greased them with Ardent reel butter, I wiped down the rod blank, I cleaned and shined the rod guides, and I wiped down the outside of the reels and greased under the spool, And I cleaned the reel seats, anything else that I missed? I also soaked my fishing line on the spools in warm water for about 3 minutes as well, any other suggestions? I went throgh all the rod guides with both a paper towell and q-tips with soapy warm water and then dried them out and will be wiping the rods down with pledge this evening

I usually just check the line for condition and capacity. Drop of oil for spool bearings. KVD L&L on the guides, line, and reel. I always clean my rods and reels after every use to make my prep easier. I only have 1 combo I use all the time, the others are specific setups that usually only get used in tournament fishing. Be careful with the warm water thing, L&L the ***ht before, and before fishing in the morning is safer and better. Good luck!

About all I do is re-tie/tie on everything I'm going to be using during the tourney and make sure all my tackle is in it's place. IMO I think you're going a little overboard but, hey, it's your perogative. I don't have that kinda time and it's never adversely affected me in the past.

The Q-Tip isn't for cleaning the guides, it is for checking them for cracks, by running the Q-Tip dry around the guide insert if it is cracked it will pull the cotton off the q-tip and stick in the crack. If you use a cleaner and wet the q-tip you aren't going to find a cracked insert as easily. As for getting ready I just make sure my reels are spooled with fresh line and I have all the equipment I need, my reels are taken care of and I use them during prefishing or practice to make sure everything is in working order.