tomh388

Need Help Judging Length Of Fish

I caught this bass today but had no way of measuring him, i put him back in the pond i caught him in. i took this quick pic next to this 9 inch cooler to have a reference point and I've used it to estimate he was about 18-20 inches long. do u guys think that was a good estimate or am i off?

post-39522-0-31958800-1344562585_thumb.j

Measure from mouth (closed) to tip of tail.

You did good to have a reference point.

http://gatorgrip.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6

The guys in my club use the Gator Golden Rule. You may want to get one.

looks to be 18 ish to me. i bet you will bring a mesuring device next time. lol nice catch.

I just used a blk Sharpie marker to write on our tackle boxes, that way if I'm not in the boat (have a BPS walleye board mounted on boat) then all we have to do is hold it over the tackle box, problem is my largest box is only 16 inch long, but at least I know from their about how big, one purchase I will be making soon is a scale, since length is the determining factor in keepers I've only used a ruler. After reading so many stories on here, I start to wonder about weight.

Bring some old rope and a knife you can get girth and length cut it to size and measure later

Looks like you are bank fishing, when I do this I bring a small retractable tape measure and put it in my pocket til needed. Looks about 18 to 19 inches.

thanks guys i literally casted out with and caught this guy within 20 seconds. I knew there were some big ones in it but i went nuts when i pulled him out haha

Use your rod as a reference point next time.

One thing you always have with you is your rod, I have a 20" mark (a piece of masking tape works well). If you want to step it up a notch, put a piece every inch or 2 starting at about 18 up to like 24, it's basically free, takes minutes to do and the tape can always be removed.

Next time put it up to your rod to get an estimate then measure it when u get home