jay-b

Bowfin Staring Me Down???

I took the kayak out for some fishing out in the northlanding river, VA. and noticed that this fish that looked like a bowfin, came right up to my kayak and was just swimming in place staring at me. I could of litterly touched the fish if i stuck my hand out, I've heard of bass coming up to boats, but this was def. not a bass, anyone else experience this? I know these things can jump and they have teeth, which would suck if it did try to jump at me in the yak.

Bowfins will eat larger birds and of course fish, he probalby was just checking to see if you were food or not. I have never heard of Bowfins attacking a person, but first time for everything. Next time throw out a worm on a hook,he might take it and you'd have a heck of a fight on your hands. My boy caught one last month 26 inch and a 5-10 min fight. He loved it.

100_2289-1.jpg

nice catch! im still looking to catch my 1st bowfin, heard they take most lures/baits that bass take. I tried to drop my senko infront of him but by the time i realized what was going on, still in shock scratching my head wondering what fish it was, it went away.

We call them "Choupique" in the South! Choupique balls are a Cajun delicacy!! They are infamous for bustin' up tackle if you lift him into the boat. We use a litte "persuader" to calm him down when we unhook them.

By the way, don't "lip" them with your thumb and forefinger......lots of tiny teeth that can abraid your skin instantly.

Sometimes we lovingly call them "Cypress Trout!"

They DO put up quite the fight!

Nice fin... On my bucket list, heard they fight well ....

^ditto^

It's possible, they're balsy fish and I've read reports of them as far North as Pa.

Well, I for one am glad he only stared at you. I would have been truly freaked if it had spoken. If it was a snakehead and you manage to wrangle one, don't bother with catch and release. Ugly invasive buggers.

It could have been a snakehead as a few others mentioned before. From what I heard, and this could be wrong, the snakeheads have gotten to be pretty bad on the Potomac River in Northern Virginia. Tight lines everyone.

-DO

in the south you may hear them called mudfish. several years ago there used to be televised tournaments for them in alabama. yes, they are a great fight, but i'll guarantee they can tear up some spinnerbaits/buzzbaits and jigs. definately don't lip one