Sign in to follow this  
tlarwa

New To Baitcasting ... Need Help With Rod/line Selection (Using Abu Garcia 4600C4 Reel)

New to the forum ... thanks for any advise you can share.

I picked up a new-in-box Abu Garcia 4600C4 reel this weekend for $40, and am dying to try my hand at baitcasting. The last time I dis was 35 years ago on my parents' old equipment (can you say backlash?). Anyway, I'm going to need a rod, and could use some advice (more with the rod specs than a specific manufacturer recommendation). Same with line. I primarily fish on a large inland lake in WI, and primarily for small and largemouth bass. I could see some Walleye fishing also. I have a nice spinning set-up that I currently use, so this would be in addition to that.

ANy advice for what length/action/power I should consider? Also, what type of line should I use on the baitcaster? I use 8# mono on my spinning reel, but I think that baitcasters typically use different line than mono. Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Tom

By the way, I realize I'm asking for an all-purpose solution, and that's not the best scenario. But it's what I have to work with at this point. If I were to gear it towards one type of fish,it would be smallmouth, as that's typically what we fish for. Mostly topwater or shallow-medium depth baits, as we have a lot of weeds. Just trying to zero it in a little bit to help with suggestions. Thanks!

If you want a generic solution, go with a good quality 12# copolymer monofilament line or 20# braid with a mono or fluorocarbon leader (no fluoro on topwater baits because it sinks). A 6'6" medium power rod with a fast tip would be my choice since you are looking for an "all around" solution. Were it me, I'd use a combo more suited for fishing jigs and plastics to penetrate those weeds. That would be a MH power fast tip 7' rod with 30lb braid and a fluorocarbon leader. That way, you could fish the whole water column.

6'6" Fast action with a lure rating of 1/4-3/4 and 12-20 lb line. That may vary between a M and MH depending on manufacturer.

Thanks for the advice. 6' 6" Medium power with fast tip sounds like a safe bet for now. I'llprobably stick with the 12# mono so I don't have to mess with a leader. It'll get me going in the baitcasting world, anyway. I can always adjust from here!

First off, you got a graet deal on that reel. The most versatile bass casting rod is a 6'6"-7' Med-Hvy/Fast. Since you're fishing mostly open water you can probably get away with a Med power but I don't see the point since you also have spinning gear for the lighter stuff. I'd up the line a little also to around 15-17# mono or 50# braid. This would work for your main techniques but also give you lots of flexibility.

• Like 1

I'd start with a medium priced mono in the 10 to 14# range. Unless you are very lucky or very very good you will have to cut of a backlash or two and cutting off braid and fluoro is costly. Exdept for srface lures I use fluoro almost 100%.