gramps50

Baitcaster Line Capacity

I have been looking at baitcast reels and am a little confused about the line capacity ratings. On a spinning reel there are normally 3 line weights that the reel is designed for like an ultra is #2/xxx #4/xxx #6/xxx but when looking at the specs for a baitcaster it seems that they only list one such as #12/xxx so does this mean that you should only use #12 line on the reel or a line with the diameter of #12 mono?

Don't quote me but I believe 12 is just used as a guideline. One of the benefits of a baitcaster is the ability to use heavier line and more if it. In my opinion it's better to start with a heavier line like trike be big game 15 till you get the hang of it and then you can downsize. Currently I'm using 12 on my two bait casters yo zuri and trilene big game. What I think is important is to stay within the line rating of your rod and adjust accordingly to the type of cover your fishing. Also a good rule of thumb is to spool the baitcaster till there is about and 1/8 inch of the spool showing. Hope this helps.

No, it does not mean you should only use 12 lb. I have a formula somewhere that is used to figure out how much line of any weight a reel will take to fill using the manufacturer's figures given on a reel. Many of us would be in trouble if you could only use the line weight listed on a reel. :)

I have had reels spooled up at the tackle shop, it hasn't been unusual for the store's line counter to disagree with the printed numbers on the spool, both more and less. I look at those numbers as a guideline, I don't take them all that serious, if my spool is filled to about an 1/8" from the lip I know have more than enough. On my spinning reels I stick with the same # test, on my convention reel I will vary what line I'm using, as I don't have a level wind I can stack up a little more line, just have to make sure there is clearance on the side of the spool.

The reel should also show what diameter the line is for that capacity. Such as 12lb/.027/120yds. Not all lines are created equal so some 12lb lines could be .027" and some could be thinner or thicker. It should say on the line box or spool what the diameter is when you buy it. You can also use that as a guide for other pound test line too on how much can fit on your reels.

Thanks guys, that's pretty much what I thought but figured I'd ask. I could see where it would make a difference on a spinning reel because of the diameter of the spool and the way it comes off, but with the baitcaster for the most part didn't make sense. You guys pretty much confirmed what I thought it was just a guide line for how much line it would hold at a given diameter.

I have one spooled with #15 and the other with #17 & I have noticed it's a little harder to get a PO out of the reel with the #15 on it.