Sign in to follow this  
Caylub

Need Help Choosing The Right Rod And Reel.

I would like to purchase my first rod and reel specifically for bass fishing but I don't know where to start. I have about$ 150 to spend. I live in a small town so Dick's is probably gonna be my best bet. Should I buy the rod and reel combo or should i pair somthing up myself? If so what would you suggest? What name brands should I look for and which should I avoid? Should I buy a spinning reel or baitcaster? Can I buy one rig to spin and crank with or do i need two different rigs? Thanks in advance for your help.

I would start out with spinning gear as to make it an enjoyable experience. Go to Dick's and pick up a shimano Sellus Worm/Jig rod and put a Shimano Sedona 2500 reel on it. Spool it with 8# test Trilene and you will have a fantastic set-up that will do everything well. This set-up will run you around $125 total. Also look at the Tec-Spec rods that are sold at Dick's as they are a great rod as well. In this model I would go with the 6'8" M Extra Fast which will be a great all around rod as well.

Note: The Shimano Sellus Worm/Jig rod is available in a 6'8" M Extra Fast or a 7'2" MH Fast action. I would suggest the 6'8" model for your first rod as it will be a good all around rod. Also, the Tec Spec is made by Shimano for Field and Stream which is a Dick's exclusive.

Dont worry about baitcaster being hard to use, because they are not. Todays reels are better than they were 15 years ago to start using. Do yourself a favor, get a Shimano Citica, spool it with 12# YoZuri Hybrid (not Ultra Soft), and mount it on a Shimano Sellus worm and jig rod MH 6'8. Just set 3 cent brakes on, and tighten the spool tension knob so the bait just starts to fall on free spool, and start casting. As you get better, you can start backing off the brakes a bit. Watch some videos on YouTube if needed. I recommend Shimano so you are not disappointed in the long run. Go getem!

I'd start with a 7' medium/fast or medium-heavy/fast spinning rig. Yes, spinning and casting rods differ in both the reel seat and line guides. For the reel, get one with a spare aluminum spool. Then you can fill one spool with 6-8# copoly or fluorocarbon line, and the other with 20# braid. That will cover most situations, save the heaviest of cover.