bkohlman

Cranks For All Seasons!

What are your favorite crankbaits and colors for:

Early Spring:

Late Spring:

Summer:

Fall:

Love all the input!

Early spring - lipless cranks. Strike King Red Eye shad is one of the better ones. When the water temp is under 50 degrees I like lipless baits that can vibrate at the slow speeds and the Red Eye also swims on the fall. I also like Spro Aruka Shad which is as little heavier and swims with a more nose down attitude making it good choice when I want to slow roll it in deeper water. Craw colors are good in cold water but in the clear waters I fish baitfish colors like ghost etc will also get bit. As the water temp warms and as the fish enter shallow grassy flats I will also throw silent lipless cranks if I'm at a lake that's getting a lot of pressure. Squarebill cranks are definitely in play for me as the water warms and sometimes will outperform lipless cranks. Though I consider a different category of lures I won't go fishing during the prespawn without an arsenal of jerkbaits available.

Late spring use cranks here and there but soft plastics / jigs dominate as the spawn approaches.

Summer - post spawn / early summer use a lot of squarebills and mid depth cranks like the Wiggle Wart / Rapala DT 10 and other baits. Regarding squarebills my favorite is the Lucky Craft RC 1.5 with the Strike King a close second. If the fish are in shallow vegatation the Mann's Baby 1 minus and the Jackall Cherry zero foot 56 are good choices. Other wake cranks like the Xcalibur model can be very effective.

As the summer progresses most of my fishing is done with deep divers. 2 of my favorites are the Strike King 6XD and the Spro Little John DD.

Fall - Lipless cranks and Squarebills when the water temp is the 50's . Under that Lipless cranks, I've caught them as low as 43 degress and I'm sure there are some out there who catch them in even cooler water on the right day. Sunday caught some on the Rapala Rippin' Rap with an aggressive stroking retrieve, was very impressed with how this bait performs with this type of presentation. The vibration pattern is between a Red Eye shad and a blade bait. Swims very impressively on the way down.

There are other cranks that are a part of my arsenal that I'm probably overlooking right now but these are baits that have worked well for me through the different seasonal windows that I have fished.

• Like 1

I usually try to "match the hatch" but our lake has stained water so chartreuse xcalibur xrk 50s and red eye shad is what I use most. I found some of the xcalibur xrk50s in the wounded series and have been lighting them up with those.

Early Spring: SK red eye shad

Late Spring: SK 5xd

Summer: SK 6xd

Fall: SK KVD 2.5

• Like 1

We only have one season in South Louisiana.

So I usually fish a Marty Burns custom squarebill with a pea green color: Pea green top, chartreuse side, orange bottom. Medium diver.

Works ALL year long.

Having some success with the Lucky Craft Rick Clunn 1.5 DD in brown top, copper side with chartreuse and green throat. . Very productive. Bought a few at BPS recently at clearance sale.