Sign in to follow this  
einsteins

Suggestions On Used Boats

Hi all

I have a 1990 Tracker TF1800 with a 115 hourse Merc that I bought a year ago. It has been a really solid boat for my first fishing boat. I upgraded trolling motor to a MK Terrova and have a hummingbird 798c Si on the bow with transducer on the TM.

I got that boat for $2000.00 and put about 2500.00 into it, so I was able to get started fairly cheap.

I am planning to buy something newer this winter/spring and would like to ask some of you more experienced bass boat owners what Brands / models are good based in my price range. I dont want to start a brand war or anything like that. I figure my budget will be around 15k to 17k.

I have found some boats on here that look nice and are in my price range but Just dont know enough about the different brand/models to know what are ones to look for or avoid.

I have seen Nitros, Tritons, Stratos, and Skeeters ranging from about 2003 to 2007 in my price range. I know the motor is key as it is the biggest part of the investment.

Any input or advise on these model/brands would be greatly appreciated, it seems I always get good input from the great group in these forums. Thats why I wanted to check here to help possibly narrow my search.

Thanks

I am planning to buy something newer this winter/spring

I can't help you, but I'm curious as to what you're looking for other than something newer. Bigger boat? More powerful motor? Other things?

Don't think theres much wrong with any of the brands you've listed. It's going to come back to how well the boat was taken care of. When you find a boat your interested in, check nadaguides to compare pricing. It's the kelly blue book for boats and rv's. You'd be suprised the big difference between asking price and average retail. I'm looking too and I'm finding boats listed anywhere from 3k-10k over average retail. Keep in mind, a trolling motor and average electronics add no value to the boat. Make sure you have a trusted mechanic look at it. Boats newer than 2008 may or may not still have warranty left on the motor. Good luck

I can't help you, but I'm curious as to what you're looking for other than something newer. Bigger boat? More powerful motor? Other things?

I have noticed that there are nicer features on most of the boats that are newer than mine. I am considering trying some local club tournaments next year.

Something with a larger front deck would be nice also, mine is pretty small once you get TM pedal and 3 rods on the deck. Obviously if I am going a bit bigger a larger motor would be nice.