papajoe222

Know Your Bass

I frequent a number of fishing forrums every day and the one topic I rarely see are questions about bass, northern, muskie, walleye, or whatever species the site is dedicated to.  This site is one of the better when it comes to exchanging knowledge, but even here, the majority of that knowledge is related to gear or techniques and very little toward getting to know Ms. Bass.

I've been fishing for over 50 years now and had the pleasure of introducing this great sport to hundreds. As a camp counselor during my college days and even now with my grandchildren and the kids in the neighborhood. My approach has changed very little over the years and it revolves around one thing. Learn what makes a fish do what it does and where it's likely to be doing it and you have an excellent chance at being successful at catching them whenever you go fishing.

I'd love to see a forum catagory on this site that targets learning about this fish that we all love to catch.  How many times have you read or had someone tell you that 90% of fishing success is based on the location of the fish?  From seasonal movements, their reaction to changing conditions, how they relate to the forage, activity levels, etc.  There is a wealth of information that is vital, not only to the novice, but even to anyone wishing to 'up their game' to the next level.

Mods take note;  I'll start a topic here in the general bass fishing forum with the idea of sharing some of what I consider the most valuable information one can share and watch how many views and responses it gets.  If nothing else, i may possibly get guys to start sharing their knowledge on this subject.

I think this is a great idea. I am constantly looking for more information on bass behavior. As a kid learning to fish there was no discussion I why we are or aren't catching bass, I just knew we were or weren't. Now that I am older and on my own, as far as fishing goes, I am still a little behind in being able to truly know what the bass are doing, and where they are. I have found some great topics pertaining to this on the site, but would love a centralized location.

As a beginner in the bass fishing world I would love to be able to learn these patterns and behaviors. I have pretty good success catching them when I find the bass but most of it is just being at the right place at the right time. Where I need to improve is having a plan before I hit the lake to minimize the days I go out and get skunked due to primarily being in the wrong areas.

Its hard to plan a day of fishing. Wind, weather, sun, etc all have a factor. One second the bite can be on, then like a light switch they stop.

well said.

Its hard to plan a day of fishing. Wind, weather, sun, etc all have a factor. One second the bite can be on, then like a light switch they stop.

I guess a better way to put it is that I need to be able to take those weather conditions and seasonal patterns and narrow down places that will give me a better chance of being on the fish.

This is what's great about this sport. All the knowledge in the world won't make you a better fisherman and even if you're able to apply that knowledge to it's maximum, success at catching isn't a given.  If it were, I don't think we could call this a sport as there'd be no competition.

Look at the locations of most people on this forum. They all vary from place to place I am a lot closer to chicago than you but fish south of chicago. We might have similar patterns and fish the same areas but a lot of these guys dont. Also Midwest lakes are known to be pretty shallow in general compared to the deeper lakes of the south.  The good thing about this forum is that guys do chime in on location from time to time.  The local fishing section is not used well enough. I would rather have a section for the Midwest rather than the northeast. The conditions in New York are going to be way different than here. 

To anyone newer to bass fishing or at least newer to trying to learn bass behavior, I would suggest to not limit yourself to just info. on the forum. Not that it is bad info., but bass resource itself has an amazing article section. You can find good reads covering a lot of topics, including seasonal patterns and behavior.

On another note I agree with the above poster, I would love to see the regional posts narrowed down a little more. I think you would also see more posting if people could have conversations in a section dedicated to their state.