Sign in to follow this  
The Brim Reaper

Washington Smallmouth: What Line Size?

I use 6lb fluorocarbon on my dropshot rig.  8lb fluoro on my all around spinning rod (tubes, darter heads etc) 10lb fluoro on my crankin rod, 12 lb fluorocarbon on my football head rods and my c-rig/draggin rod.  15lb on my spinnerbait/swimjig/chatterbait rods and 20lb fluoro on my flippin rod.

I use 6lb fluorocarbon on my dropshot rig.  8lb fluoro on my all around spinning rod (tubes, darter heads etc) 10lb fluoro on my crankin rod, 12 lb fluorocarbon on my football head rods and my c-rig/draggin rod.  15lb on my spinnerbait/swimjig/chatterbait rods and 20lb fluoro on my flippin rod.

Thanks for your response. May I ask what the length, power, and tip action of your spinning rods are? 

6lb and 8lb for most applications on spinning rods.  12lb for cranking and topwaters, and 15 lb for spinnerbaits, swimbaits, C-Rigs, and general cover situations.

I won't go into flipping or heavy cover situations, since I don't flip/pitch for smallies.

6lb and 8lb for most applications on spinning rods.  12lb for cranking and topwaters, and 15 lb for spinnerbaits, swimbaits, C-Rigs, and general cover situations.

I won't go into flipping or heavy cover situations, since I don't flip/pitch for smallies.

Thanks, Glenn! 

My spinning rods are 7' ML (dropshot) Dobyns DX702SF and 7' M (DX703sf) The 702sf is the perfect dropshot rod.  The 703 is a great multi purpose rod that covers anything from grubs, tubes, split shots and light topwaters/cranks.  It also makes a great Senko rod, but I prefer to use baitcasting gear for that.   I only run with two spinning rods, and these two will cover just about any technique I need.