Sign in to follow this  
Fisher_C

Revo S Gen 3

I know there has been tons of previous topics on this i just want to know if this is a good reel to learn how to use a baitcaster on? I already have 3 Pro Qualifiers i just havent had the chance to use them because im waiting on my rods to get here. I have a 100 dollar gift card to Bass Pro and trying to figure out how to use it. Thanks and any advice would be great.

The only difference between the PQ's you have and the revo s is the weight, size and lack of mag brakes on the s. And of course what they look like on the outside. I do feel that the s is a bit smoother but not by all that much. The pq is actually a very nice reel. That being said I don't think you will have any more or less difficulty learning on the s versus the pq. 

As a matter of fact, if you leave the cent brakes on and turn the mag brakes all the way off on the pq, you can basically see what it will be like to cast with the s right now. 

I love the S. What a great reel it's turned out to be. I have the STX as well, and rarely if ever use the mag brakes.

The Revo S is a great reel for the money.  I have had issues with bass pro reels in past.  I have never tried a PQ tho.  I own several ABU reels and you cant go wrong with a revo

For a beginner at baitcasting, I would definitely suggest a centrifugal braking system like the one on the R3vo S.  Coming from a saltwater fishing background, all the baitcasters I had ever used before starting to bass fish have had centrifugal brakes (Abu round reels, Calcuttas, Penn internationals, etc.).  With the centrifugal brakes you have more physical control over your casts; the reel is much more forgiving.

When I first got my R3vo SX with a magnetic brake, I could only get maybe 1 out of 15 good casts.  I was so discouraged and thought it had to be the braid I had on the reel and changed to fluorocarbon -- I was wrong.  Same problem.  It took me a lot of reading about mag brakes and constant toying with the brake and cast control settings along with about a month of practice to get good casts.  I still can't get good casts with weightless baits or large profile, wind-resistant baits (like large skirted jigs and buzz-baits).

I find the problem I have with mag brakes is I tend to cast with a lot of power and you simply can't do that with mag brakes (or at least I can't).  You have to make very fluid, smooth casts with medium power to get the reel to cooperate. You can't make rushed casts when you're startled by a bass breaking the surface or you'll probably backlash.

I find that with my centrifugal reels I set the brakes at about half power, then I just use the cast control knob to adjust for different weight baits.  On the other hand, on my magnetic reels, I tend to set my cast control heavy and adjust the brake for each bait.  I'm sure someone will chime in and say they cast just fine with mag brakes, but I prefer centrifugal brakes.

I know there has been tons of previous topics on this i just want to know if this is a good reel to learn how to use a baitcaster on? I already have 3 Pro Qualifiers i just havent had the chance to use them because im waiting on my rods to get here. I have a 100 dollar gift card to Bass Pro and trying to figure out how to use it. Thanks and any advice would be great.

If you have three PQs already I'd wait and go fishing with them after your rods get here.  Figure out where the hole in your lineup is as far as gear ratio/inches per turn & application is and base your next reel purchase off of that.  That BPS card will buy a PQ and if you figure out you like them they come in four ratios to cover any bass fishing application.

If the Revo S came in more ratios they might not sell as many winches, SXs and STXs ;)