Sign in to follow this  
new2BC4bass

Quantum Rod Weight Rating Question.

Bought 2 Quantum Tour Edition PT rods and one Quantum SuperLite Pt rod.  The SuperLite and one of the Tour Edition rods are both 6'10" Heavy.  Both are rated for 10-25# line and 1/4-5/8 oz. lures.  To me this rating falls within a MH rod rating.  The other Tour Edition is a 7' Medium rated for 8-17# line and 1/4-3/4 oz. lures.

This doesn't make sense to me.  How can a MH in the same line be rated for heavier lures than a Heavy power rod?  Can someone please explain to me why the Heavy rods aren't rated for at least 1 oz.  I've got a couple MH rods that are rated to 1 oz.  Heck, an older model MH XMLTi is rated from 3/8 to 2-1/4 oz. lures.

Thanks.

When you get righrt down to it, none of the lure weight ratings or power ratings mean anything. It's all subjective on the part of the maker since there are no industry standards. Lure weight rating and power ratings generally move in the same direction but are not necessarily the same thing.

A Heavy power rod with lower lure weight ratings may have a hefty butt diameter to move some real weight but taper quickly to a tip that casts the lighter baits better. I don't know if this is the case here or not, just an example of how terms are used different ways.

Thanks Mike.  I'll just have to wait until I can get out for a little casting practice with them.  It didn't make sense that a MH rod should handle heavier lures than an H rod.