BaconStealer303

Powell Rod Decision, Help!

Help guys! I just ordered my Lews Tp 7:1 yesterday, got it for 135:)... But i wanted a powell endurance MH, well the M is on sale for 30$ off retail until tomorrow. Do you think i'll be okay with M instead of MH? It'll be an all around setup, and i live in illinois, so i wont be hooking into any 10lbers. I would prefer to spend the 30$ off, what do you think???

Theres a bunch of brand new lews posted by the same seller everyday on ebay. There on auction but you can pick them up for 120-140 if your pacient

What exactly are you planning on using on a powell rod? What kind of of weights?

The 722 Endurance or 702 Max may be a little under powered for your jigs. But will work great for the top waters and spinner baits. The 702/722 could be good but you dont have the back bone of the MH and doesnt have the range for a little bit larger baits. Dont get me wrong tho, the M is grat for lighter baits.

I have 2 of the Endurance 723s and they are great all around rods. I use it as a spinner bait rod/swim jig/plastics/flukes/senkos/hollow body swimmers...ect.

The Max 703 is a little cheaper and is pretty much the same rod.

Ok thanks. And this is a little off subject but how do you think the Shimano crucial compares to the powell? Or actually any other 100-160$ rod at bass pro?? Thinking about using the rod trade in for a better deal

The Crucials compare well. Some will say that the crucials are better than powell,... i dont know about that...but they are def quality rods and i wouldnt be scared to buy one if it fit a need.

I have used a crucial (a spinning model) before and have nothing but good things to say about them. Shimano is a good company, you can find the rods everywhere and they have a good lifetime warranty. (Over the counter warranty)

The crucial 7'2" Med Heavy Fast would be great.

I have 5 Powell rods but none of them are M action. I have a 703C that I use for jigs in the range you're asking about and really like it's performance. I don't think I'd want to go with any less "power" than this rod for jigs though.

I've only used one new Crucial rod, a spinning model, but they didn't impress me as much as the older cork handled Crucials I've owned. Nothing at all wrong with the new ones, I just prefer the older version better. The old Crucials and Powells are about the same IMHO but I'd take the Powell over the newer Crucials.  

I just want to add that I'm a huge Shimano fan, didn't want anyone to think I'm just trying to "bash" Shimano. This is just my honest opinion.

when it comes to an all purpose type set up I will always go MH, and the reason is most MH rods have no problem with baits that are 1/4oz and it will allow you to use it on a greater range of baits and even let you fish in cover which the medium won't do. I like a medium powered rod for finesse jigs in open water, and senkos around docks and they are also great for jerkbaits and soft jerkbaits.

I have 4 powell rods none of them are M so I cant help on the power. I  have recently been buying falcon bucoo micro guides I like them a little more then the powells they are a little cheaper and they are made in the USA. I first checked one out at walmart and was impressed so I ordered one and I now have 3.

Lews TP for $135 is a great deal. I got mine for around $150 I think. Put it on a powell diesel glass rod. What a great reel. Great rod too (and cheap). I love that setup. I am going to fish the heck out of it this spring.

Ya i think im gonna love the reel. Anyone know if the ducket rods, abu garcia verdict or st croix rage rods are as good? It just seems so hard to pick because there are so many rods at 150$