What Do You Throw In A Cold Front?

MDP4BASS

Hello MDP again, I am fishing tomorrow and unfortunatly a front moved in earlier today and i hear the bass become very difficult with biting many baits i use.

If anyone has advice on hard or soft lures they like for fishing a cold front but in bright conditions, and the water is stained to mud it would be much appreciated. Color, Size, etc.

Thanks Everyone!

• Super User

After a front I down size and slow way down! Some baits i like are the Zoom french fry,Robo worms,anything small on a drop shot,a C-rig in deep water ( summer ),bass that are in deep water are less affected by a front than shallow water bass.

To hell with slowing down! This time of year, i'll either burn a spinnerbait or swim a jig over grassy points or bang a square bill through hard cover on main lake points. Fish don't WANT to bite after a front, you have to MAKE them.

• Like 1

To hell with slowing down! This time of year, i'll either burn a spinnerbait or swim a jig over grassy points or bang a square bill through hard cover on main lake points. Fish don't WANT to bite after a front, you have to MAKE them.

X2

There is always a reaction bite in play regardless of fronts coming and going.   

• Like 1

• Super User

X2

There is always a reaction bite in play regardless of fronts coming and going.   

I thought he was full of poo when he told me to speed the presentation up during the cold. We were fishing in a blizzard freezing our butts off, 30-40 MPH wind etc and killed em on a green and red (fast moving) North Star swim jig and Squarebill cranks. If I slowed the jig down, I got nothing. When I burned it back, is the only time I got a hit at all.

• Like 1

• Super User

I fished during a cold front yesterday.  Water temps 48 to 52 degrees.   Secchi disc reading of 2 1/2 feet .( which is very stained for this body of water)  I caught 1 fish - a 17" fish suspending off of a bush by the lake dam.  Caught it on a shad rap.  10 in the morning.  Didn't get bit the rest of the day.  To answer the question, I don't have a clue what to throw during a cold front.   So far a couple of guys have recommended slow down, and a couple have recommended speeding up.  Go figure.  Just keep trying different stuff until something works.

• Super User

I do slow down and it works for more in the summer. If I don't get a hit then I would speed up. In the spring the water is colder than in summer so I do think fast in the cold water in the spring works. But in summer water after a front I slow down in DEEP water and that works.I know what the others are saying about the reaction bite and they are wright.I don't think there is a wright or wrong answer here,just let the fish tell you what they want!!

A FIT!!!! because they always come the day before I go fishing!!!!!

Tell me about it. I went out for 5 hours today and caught two dinks...

Threw everything in my arsenal, every color, and finally got them on a Pumpkin/Blk Flk Senko

• Super User

I usually downsize and slow down as well, but if it doesn't produce I will try other tactics. For plastics, I like senkos, flukes, finesse worms, centipedes, tubes, and fat ikas fished with as light of a weight as possible. Drop shotting is good too. Instead of a jig, I will use a smaller creature bait or grub, especially something like a hula grub on lighter line with a lighter weight. If going with cranks, I will use shad raps and tight wobbling baits. If there is a bit of chop in the water, slow rolling a spinnerbait is till a good tactic.

• Super User

Oh and don't overlook a 3" - 5" single tail grub fished with a light weight and on a weedless hook.

• Super User

Also, the fish are more likely to be tight to cover, and to really key in on morning and evening periods.