Sign in to follow this  
airborne_angler

Discerning Between Mono And Fluoro Already Spooled On Reels

Have a pretty good assortment of reels in a cabinet which are all prespooled with line. Some with Mono, some with FC. I can't remember which ones are which...is there a test I can do on the line to tell what's FC and what's mono?

pull off some line, about 3 yards or soo, then pull, the one that strech's more is mono

Some fluoros stretch just as much as mono if not more.  Heres how I do it.  I take and snip off about 3" of line and drop it in a glass of water.  The one that floats is mono and the one that sinks like a rock is fluoro.

• Like 4

Some fluoros stretch just as much as mono if not more.  Heres how I do it.  I take and snip off about 3" of line and drop it in a glass of water.  The one that floats is mono and the one that sinks like a rock is fluoro.

What he said.

The glass with water is what i thought might work...I just wanted to see if others would go about it the same way or if there was another concrete way of differenciating. Thanks

Good answers above. I guess I find the FCs I've used to have a frosted look, and is more wiry and has more memory so it looks kinked and curled. Mono tends to be shinier and its memory shows up as wider coils. If mono's not shiny, if it's "frosted", it's gone bad.

I always thought I'd remember which line was on what spool. Not so anymore. I now make sure to use those little stickers that come with line spools. With spinning reels I stick them on the inside of the reel spools.

I only use mono right now but I always forget what weight line & brand I have on which reel. I take my label maker and make a label for each reel which has the Brand/Weight on it. I stick it to the spool on my spinning reels and the real body on the BC's.