Sign in to follow this  
SmokeRise1

Fishfinder Connector Problem

My Humminbird fishfinder will not power up this year.  I checked the wiring and it all looks good.  I noticed that the pins in the connector are corroded and green.  Does anyone know of a spray or soak that will clean these up and get this working again?

I had that happen on a trailer connector on my last vehicle. If I remember correctly you can get electrical terminal cleaner from the hardware store. I also then took a 17 cal wire brush and a fly tying pick to the metal and cleaned it up.

Maybe a dental tool?

Option 2... get a replacement wire.

Option 2... get a replacement wire.

Agree

Once you get corrosion on that small wire, you have lost some of its current carrying capacity.

The contact pins are gold plated and don't rust, green corrosion is copper rust.

If your unit is less than 10 years old, the power cord is either the PC-10 or PC-11.

I was afraid I would need to replace it.  That's 20 bucks I don't have right now.  I will try to clean the pins with vinegar or something else I already have laying around.  No sense spending an extra $10 on a spray that won't do the job and then another $20 on a new wire too.  Thanks.