Sign in to follow this  
Jay Ell Gee

Slimed The New 'yak Today!

A fellow member of KBF invited me on my first fishing trip in my new Perception Pescador 12 SOT that I won from Academy/Bayou Coast Fishing Club a bit over a week ago.

We arrived before daylight and set up. A front was coming in, along with some heavy rain in just a few hours. Not five minutes in, my fishing partner lands a 21 inch bass on a spinnerbait. It was quickly released after a few pics.

After that, everything seemed to slow down dramatically. We were throwing every lure in the box when I finally decided to downsize and idiot-proof my presentation. I tied on an owner weedless wacky hook, tossed on a Jackall Flick Shake 4.8 in bluegill, and went to work. Casting, flipping, skipping... whatever it took to land a bite. After a few minutes, I decided to sweeten the pot with a little megastrike. First bite was a light hookset (still worried about hammering them and throwing myself off balance). Second bite is the same way. However, on the third bite I showed him NO mercy and drilled that tiny hook right through his.... well... tiny lips. I'm shocked that I didn't rip this guy clean out of the water with 20lb braid.

Regardless, a fish is a fish and I managed to slime the yak. I gained a lot of confidence in it today and will be taking it out very soon with my new 4wt to tame some large bluegills.

So, am I official now guys? :eyebrows:

First Yak Fish!

Me with junior!

• Like 1

A fish, and slime? Yep, you're official :smiley:

Congrats!  It's official!  Now go and get a bigger one - fish that is ;)

Haha thanks guys. My fishing partners first bass that morning was a solid 21 inches. There are some serious bruisers in this big public pond. Luckily, 99% of people fish it from the bank, usually for bluegill.

Getting a truck this week so I'll be able to fish in the yak any time I want now! A bigger fish will be coming soon!

Awesome - make sure you PM Adam and Matt (on KBF) if you're in their neck of the woods down in Luzianna - they can get you on quality fish real quick.

Awesome - make sure you PM Adam and Matt (on KBF) if you're in their neck of the woods down in Luzianna - they can get you on quality fish real quick.

Hold on now... Are you implying that I can't find bigger fish because of one pic of a small bass? :D

Just kidding! I'll try to find their usernames and give them a shout! Thanks!

Too funny. Their names are Plasticpirogue and Bass & BBQ.

Too funny. Their names are Plasticpirogue and Bass & BBQ.

That'll save me some time! Thanks Han!