Sign in to follow this  
GoneFishi'n

Swimbait Rod

Should I get an Okuma Big Bait rod in the 7'6" heavy or 7'11" heavy? I would be throwing 8" Hudds, Mini slammers, 9-12 inch slammers, BBz's in 6-8 inches, s-wavers, oh and some 6" Hudds. Which one would be better? And would my Lews Speed Spool be alright for casting these baits for about a month or two? I would be fishing everyday with this combo.

If you plan to have 1 swimbait rod go with the rod that will handle the larger swimmers; 7'11" heavy. You standard 4 to 5 power bait casting rod can handle the smaller lighter weight swimmers under 1 1/2 oz.

The reel needs to be able to hold 25 lb Mono or FC for the larger swimmers. It's nice to have a dedicated swimbait combo and I would take a look a Shimano round reels like a Cardiff A in300 or 400 series

Tom

I'm getting that reel in about 1-2 months, that's why I was wondering if my speed spool would be alright till then.

Hey man

I'm using the 7'11 okuma big bait rod in heavy and a shimano Cardiff 300. This setup is decent but when I upgrade I plan on getting the Irods equivalent for $10-$15 more. I think it has better reviews and probably a little bit better than the Okuma. I'm far from knocking on the Okuma but for such a small amount of money I would get the Irods. Hope this helps

I would also recommend checking out irod gen 2 they are really good rods for $150.