Sign in to follow this  
Zebil

Nova Fishing 7/2-7/3?

I just got back into fishing, i got 2 set ups, a medium rod and spinning reel and a nice abu garcia vendetta medium heavy 7' (tip broken but i was able to fix it) with a quantium baitcasting reel. i spooled it up yesterday while trying for the first time ever to cast with it and i spent half my time fixing what i think are called blacklash or birds nests? it was horrible. I might also add i put on a 10lb braided line that i don't have any experience with and it just kept getting tangled up, maybe i put it on the wrong way? small settings are messed up? WHO KNOWS. i'll be playing with it later. 

I did catch 4 bass yesterday, at lake newport in Reston VA. 1 during lunch time and the rest from 1-3am; I will add that they were no more than 1lb each. 

I'd love to go out and hook up (get it... lol) with another angler that knows what they are doing and possibly show me what i'm missing to start landing good size fish. OR at least know what i'm doing. 

I think my biggest problem is i try like every lure i have, i change often. I got all my guys on zoom green worms, rigged weedless, Texas rigged and 2, on drop shot. I really wanted to find myself a nice little drop shot weights so i wouldn't loose my hooks, but i couldn't and thus lost a few hooks due to rocks. 

If anyone is going out around Mclean - Reston area. I have tomorrow off too, I'm up for early morning fishing too. 

I'm Marco, i'm 28.

Dude 10lb braid is pointless.. Braid is used when fishing heavy cover...tree's , docks,. or heavy heavy lilly pads and stuff.  and then you want 40-70lb test braid.   I suggest 12-17lb Florocarbon.  and Baitcasters took me a while to learn too.  if your unsure how to set it up google it or youtube.  adjust the brakes for the lure you put on (changes with each lure)
.  Also you have to thumb the spool lightly feathering it as the bait nears the water.  this prevents the spool from still spinning and causing a birdsnest.  which happens from time to time...but a lot less frequently with practice.  check out this video on a cool wy to get out birdsnest...

http://www.bassfishin(DOT)(COM)  search videos and scroll down you'll find it

10# braid is not pointless; I find it very useful on spinning gear.  If you have it on your BC reel, well, that's another story.  Braid of that diameter will just dig into itself on a BC reel the first time you set the hook hard or snag something.

Practice your baitcasting in the backyard with only a weight tied on.  Set the brakes kinda high and start w/ short casting distances.  The best advice I can give may be investing in a quality BC reel (IDK the quantum model you have).  IMHO, anything under $150 (new) will just lead to frustration as you start to use it in the real fishing world.

I learned BC on a cheap Quantum Octane combo ($50 from Dick's) and I think that definitely made it a little more difficult for me.  It's not that smooth so I'm looking to upgrade soon.  

The good thing is that the first few times I used it I backlashed like hell and am now very good at clearing bird's nests.  

Really? You need to spend $150 on a reel? That type of investment doesn't make sense for me.

Just a week ago my buddy jostled the jon boat hard enough that I fell right on my rods snapping 4 of the 5 I had with me clean in half.

I vowed at that point I'll never buy high end gear. Just picked up a replacement BC rod last night for $40. 1 down, 3 to go.

There are plenty of reels less than 100. H2O mettle is popular, many people it seems start on a black max. I learned on a cabellas tourney that I like. Plenty of options.

spend a few hours tinkering with the brakes and the spool tension.  and practice feathering the cast the last 10 feet or so of the cast before it hits the water.  Don't go out fishing as "practice" you will spend more time with your lure out of the water, than fishing, I'm speaking from experience.  and while the more expensive reels  wont prevent backlashes, I think you can find one in the $100 ball park that will work for you and be of good quality.  when tuned up for the bait your throwing and with practice, you shouldnt have any issues.

I'd almost recommend t-rigging a weightless senko while you practice.  Between the time your senko hits the water and the time you clear your birds nest, you'll probably raise the rod to find a fish on the other end.   :grin:

definitely watch some youtube videos on how to work the baitcaster reels....  and as said before start by making shorter casts and gaining confidence and then step up from there.  and there is no way i'd spend $150 on my first, second or last baitcaster reel....  i got the basspro prolite rod and reel combo for like $50 and have been incredibly happy with it.....

I'd almost recommend t-rigging a weightless senko while you practice.  Between the time your senko hits the water and the time you clear your birds nest, you'll probably raise the rod to find a fish on the other end.   :grin:

LOL Got a point!!