lanzbass

How Many Trips Fishing Before Spider Line Should Be Replaced ?

Mine has been on for 6 months . It looks good but I don't want to lose the big one !

Mine has been on for 6 months . It looks good but I don't want to loose the big one !

There is no set time. Braid just doesn't go bad or have a shelf life. Exposure to sun water and different air climates can alter its state. The amount of casts, the type of cover your fishing all play into it.

Basically, just check the line every trip (20-30 yards) up into the spool and look for frays, nicks etc. braid will fade over time so don't get to discouraged if it looses its color.

Another thing to check is your knot. Make sure it's retied every so often and a good one. Most fish as lost to knot failure over line failure.

• Like 1

Line should be checked for wear whether it's braid, mono or a leader.  Sometimes braid may look a little fuzzy, doesn't mean that's frayed or bad, it gets that way sometimes.  The type of lure or method of fishing can put some excessive twist on it, braid cannot be easily trolled out, the life span can be reduced.  Using baits that do not turn over or spin too much like jigs, the braid should last a very long time.  Experienced fishermen do not lose too many fish with a poor knot or bad line, the knots are tied until they are perfect and the line is not used if it's questionable, it's replaced.  Most fish are either lost on the jump or getting themselves wrapped around something and sometimes ya just gotta break them off.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys :) My Uncle gave me some for Christmas and I have always used mono line! I did notice that the line was losing its color , but after reading what you both shared I feel like I'm ready to bring in the big one ! Thanks again :)

You might consider reversing it so the worn line is toward the inner part of the spool.

• Like 1

Thanks Ratherbfishing ! Good advice:)