Sign in to follow this  
Nice_Bass

Oil Reservoir

Went to fill up the tank on a 75hp optimax and the dipstick attached to the handle has broken off into the reservoir...anyone else have this happen and will I need to replace the entire tank?   I really don't think there will be a way to get it out, as the angle at the top of the spout does not allow me to stick anything in to pull it out..

Is it possible that a new dipstick will slide past the broken part in the oil tank?  If it will, and the part in the tank doesn't interfere with the flow of oil to the engine, you should be good to go.  Since the part that broke off was an integral part of the oiling system, it certainly will not contaminate anything, nor will it disintegrate in the oil. 

Is it possible that a new dipstick will slide past the broken part in the oil tank?  If it will, and the part in the tank doesn't interfere with the flow of oil to the engine, you should be good to go.  Since the part that broke off was an integral part of the oiling system, it certainly will not contaminate anything, nor will it disintegrate in the oil. 

That was my thought as well- I did not really need the dipstick as I typically take off the entire cowling anyhow when I do anything, and can see my oil levels that way. My concern though was with if it would interfere with the flow of oil. I cannot seem to find diagram or anything that really shows how all the parts interacted within the reservoir.  thanks again for your input.

I have a 1994 150 hp Mercury and the reservoir has been disconnected and we mix the oil directly into the gas tank. This way you know for a fact that the oil is getting to the engine. The engine runs great and no problems at all for a long period of time. They have special mixing bottles that tell you just how much is needed to put in when filling the gas tank, I know they have them at Bass Pro.

Pre-mixed is fine.  The downside is that at idle or slow speeds the engine is getting an oil rich mixture that is only needed at higher rpms.   

I have to believe that if there were a significant number of engines self-destructing because of an auto mixing failure, they would have ceased using those systems.  I'm assuming that one of the reasons they use the auto mixing systems is to make the engines conform to environmental standards by minimizing the amount of unburned oil exiting in the exhaust.

Yeap I premix my oil too in my 150 Merc. I carry a cheap measuring cup in my boat. I fill the tank then figure out how many ounces (4/ounces per gallon)and pour it in... pretty painless. I also add my Stabil at that time.