Sign in to follow this  
rizzo777

Help With Jigging In A New Quarry

Hi all, ive been fishing a quarry I just discovered recently and caught some decent 3-4lb bass, one I hooked last week had to be 5-6 but lost it. Anyways, I tried jigs for the first time tday and caught 3 small bass. I bought some strike king jigs at wallyworld 3/8oz and 3/16, I tried the 3/8 first but seemed too heavy as the water is probably no deeper than 6 feet in some spots really shallow. I used different trailers like 8" worms, tube worms, craws, lizards and caught them all with the mini 3/16 jig. The water is very clear too. Should I go and buy jigs lighter than 3/16 or is the jig supposed to hit the bottom very fast? Any trailer recommendations for clear shallow water?

jig fishing may be tough in clear water unless you match the hatch perfectly. if you got some extra time flip over some rocks in the quarry and see if you cant find some crawfish. pick one up and examine it. see if it has any red in it or if its an olive or green pumpkin color than pick a jig that makes its color. This will make the fish just eat your bait. match the jig with your favorite trailer in the same color. I personally love zoom speed craws.. and they make them in so many colors to match any jig I could ever buy ... good luck

Its either that I am a jig newbie or the fish there doesnt like them. I tried diff colors,trailers, jig off the bottom slow and fast just no luck. Going to try again today

Without knowing something about the tackle you are using it's not possible to give good asvice.

The term jig covers a lot of different design jig heads, the Strike King could be a grass head that looks like a bullet weight? It could be a Strike King Bitsy Bug, they come 3/16 oz.

I would suggest using a smaller size trailer like a Havoc slop craw cut down so the body length is about 1 1/2 long, the overall jig length about 3" long.

You cast and let the jig hit bottom and slowly move it about 6" to12" with a pause between each move, you are fishing slowly and not in a hurry.

Tom