Mxtaylor

Cheney, Ks And Other South Central Ks Lakes

Headed to a family trip at Cheney this week and wondered if there was any decent fishing there. Anyone have any tips on what's catching there recently?

Any other suggestions for lakes down in south central KS? I've heard Pratt is good but never made my way there.

Cheney is a great lake. Its been so long since I've been up there I can't remember where the hot spots are. be careful though, I have helped pull 2 bodies from that lake. They average 5-6 a year drown out there.

Pratt is my all time favorite lake next to Wilson Lake. September-January I've had the best of luck running a red crawfish color medium 6-8 foot running crank near the spill way. When you enter the lake, turn left or north. Circle around to the first pier on the NW side of the lake. I run the bank facing west about 15 feet off the shore. I caught my PM LM at just under 6 pounds there and many Wiper over 20 plus in that area.

If you drive out on the island and hit the NW side of it near the telephone pole, there is a large brush pile that is full of crappie. Anything chartreuse with black heads works well for me. 

My last favorite spot is on the far SW side of the lake. 3rd pier. Cast off towards the play ground area and about 30 feet out are 9 telephone poles Dad and I buried back in the early 90's. Its full of Bass. dads PB of 8 plus came from that area. I use brown and green jigs near those poles and clean house.

With the rain weve been getting, Cheney should be filling. Walleye, Hybrids.

Bank fishing, Kingman SFL has alot of shoreline. It was renovated last year, so small bass and crappie are most abundant. North of Wichita is McPherson SFL. Arguably the best LMB lake in KS. 46 acres in size. South near Arkansas City is Cowley County SFL. Its slowly been coming around. Butler SFL (my nemesis) is east of Wichita. Probably in the top 5 of SFLs.

Go to the KDWPT site for current reports for the lakes. You can get directions, creel limits, lake levels, and other info

I live in Pratt and fish out there almost everyday! I catch fish almost every time I go out. I have recently been throwing Texas rigged creature baits into the fallen trees and doing some good. But here lately I haven't caught to many out of the trees. I have caught several 4- 4 1/2 pounders just this summer! In the early summer/late spring I do a lot of good throwing square billed crankbaits against the bank. Hope this helps!