Sign in to follow this  
Preytorien

Need Leader Advice

Hey guys, I'm in need of some information.....

I use two rods with braid on them, 65lb (17eq) on my baitcaster and 15lb (4eq) on my spinning reel. The fishing has been slow lately these dog days and I've had some luck with my ultralight crappie/panfish combo, however a lost hawg this evening has me wishing I would've brought either one of my aforementioned braid rigs this time. I've read when finesse fishing it's advantageous to have a leader attached, especially in clear water and in my experience a couple of the bodies of water I fish do tend to actually produce better with flourocarbon line versus my braid, and that makes me wonder if I might find it helpful and more successful if I use a flouro leader on my braid rigs when I'm in these clear bodies of water. That brings me to my main question......

As I mentioned my rigs have 15 and 65 pound braids, so what weight of flouro leader should I use? It seems a disadvantage to have 15 or 65 pound braid on my rigs then put a 4 or 6 pound flouro leader on it. That seems to me that it would negate the need for a strong line if the weakest link of the line is the leader itself.

So what pound test would I do best using, and where do I find it? I see whole 150/300yd spools of flouro at my local stores, but rarely do they top 10lb and I don't need 150/300 yards of it.

Any advice on what and where would be appreciated as would any advice on my logic of using a leader. This is my first time considering it, so I'm not well versed on the pros/cons.

Thanks guys

I split the braid poundage in half and use that pound of fluoro. 40# braid to 20# fluoro etc.

Your right, adding a lower pound fluoro loader goes against using braid for the strength properties. If the water is clear and you have to use a leader, your using the leader for stealth or abrasion resistance, not for its strength. It's a catch 20.

I use braid not for the strength, but rather the line management. It outlasts mono and fluoro and has ZERO memory.

Choose the leader based on the cover you're fishing

On the spinning rig, 8 lab leader is a good starting point especially for finesse presentation. If you feel the need, uppi g to 10 or 12 is fine

For the casting rig, start with 15 lb and adjust abut if necessary

Just make sure you perfect your knot- tying to join leader to braid

A few points on cost and quantity as well. Mono works almost as good as fluoro as a leader so if cost is a concern, do not discount it. Also check the saltwater section of your tackle shops. Generally they will sell 50 yard spools of leader material. It is a cheaper investment, but more expensive per yard

Excellent answer guys. Thanks for the help. Really you all out to write for In-Fisherman or something.

Mono works almost as good as fluoro as a leader so if cost is a concern, do not discount it.

I bought fluoro for leaders based on its reputation for being less visible in water. Seems to me, especially in the heavier weights, it's just as visible as mono. When I run out of my spool of fluoro, I'll probably just start using my $5.00 clearance spool of 12# Berkley Big Game mono. I don't fish anything that could be described as "gin-clear", however.

Thankfully I don't have a whole lot of water I fish in that's gin-clear, but I do have 2 ponds I fish that are clear enough that I've seen scuba guys training in it. I got certified some years back and our instructor said they trained in water that was 15' visibility or more. It's not the caribbean, but that's pretty clear.

I will give both the flouro and mono a try.

Went out this afternoon after putting on some 8lb P-Linc CX Premium flourocarbon on my spinning rig (15lb braid)

What I didn't know, and would advise against, is to take caution using a flouro leader with Power Pro Slick 8 braid.

The first 3 fish that hit were lost because all 3 of my (different types) leader knots simply slid right off the braid it's so slick. I used 3 different knots as described and suggested by Netknot for joining braid and leader (whether it be flouro or mono)

PP Slick 8 doesn't lie when they say that it casts like a bullet, but doesn't seem to be good for joining leaders to line.

I ended up just tying directly to the lure and almost immediately had a nice fish with a wacky Senko. So the day wasn't all bad :)

What knot are you using? I fish nothing but timber brown PP slick in 40#. I use 20# fluoro leaders for jigs and 15# for rage rigs. I use the Modified Albright knot and I have not had one single issue with my leader coming off, undone etc.

I was using the Yucatan, J-Knot, and Slim Beauty Knot.

I may end up trying the Albright. Seeing how it works I can't imagine any line slipping with that knot. Any experience with it?

What kind of knot fo you use?

Another factor might be that the PP I'm using is 15lb, which is equ. to 4lb, which is pretty darn small and the leader is 10lb flouro. Maybe the fact that I'm not using lines of similar diameter causes more slippery circumstances?

I was using the Yucatan, J-Knot, and Slim Beauty Knot.

I may end up trying the Albright. Seeing how it works I can't imagine any line slipping with that knot. Any experience with it?

What kind of knot fo you use?

Another factor might be that the PP I'm using is 15lb, which is equ. to 4lb, which is pretty darn small and the leader is 10lb flouro. Maybe the fact that I'm not using lines of similar diameter causes more slippery circumstances?

You want to try and use diameters that are close. That 4 pound braid coild be cutting into your 10 pound fluoro when you tighten it down. I run 40 braid over 20 pound fluoro. 30/15, 20/10 etc. That small of braid I radially done know what size fluoro to use. Hopefully someone with more experience can help. I've never used smaller than 20 pound braid.

I use the Modified Albright knot and have for a few years. It's worked very very well for me. Aside from some bad spider wire, I've had no issues with the knot. My fluoro usually breaks before the knot does.

I just purchased 20lb red Cajun line for my carolina rigs. I'm fishing in 10' of water so it should be ok so it disappears. I'm worried about using my lighter line on my carolina rigs weight wearing thru the smaller line test.

I would not get too caught up in the breaking strength of braid and worrying about the leader being the weakpoint. if you were to truly need 15lbs of breaking strength for finesse fishing, you must be in some serious cover. I have seen pros pull in 9+ pounders on spinning equipment with 6 or 8lb fluoro.

Many match the diameters of the line, but it is not necessary. If you do a search on the subject you will likely find more information than you can read in a day from knowledgeable folks asking the same question.

I usually match the diameter of lines, or I get close to it. For instance, my 30 lb braid has a .01 difference in diameter to the 12 lb fluoro leader that I use, and I have found that this combination works great.