Sign in to follow this  
ghost

My Version Of Crankbait W/ Prop

I thought about this for some time and wouldn't you know it, Duo Realis comes out with the Spinbait.  Much different than what I came up with but principle idea is the same.

What I did was totally different.  I wanted a crankbait that had wobble to it when it swims and thought that adding a prop on back might add a different something.  I found a squarebill crankbait with no rattles.  Not the color I would have liked, but color choices for a squarebill with removable hook eyelets are slim pickin's.

I have no idea if this has been done before, just thought I'd tinker with my brainchild. 

Here is the result:

20130810_224810.jpg

I had to first find a crankbait that the eyelets I can take off, especially the rear eyelet.  I used this idea on another crankbait but the bill was narrow and the lure just swam straight with the prop spinning.  So I found a this lure, the one in the picture that has a squarebill.  I tested my idea in a pool and it works.  It has good wobble and the prop spins freely. Very buoyant, it will float up when I stop reeling and the prop spins too. 

I can also use the lure as a top water twitch lure.  It'd be similar to a Spin Tail, but more of a compact body.

That was the easy part, putting this crankbait together.  

Now comes the hard part...catching that first of many bass with my idea.

Edited by ghost
  • Like 2

I'm liking it.  It's almost the exact opposite of a short arm spinnerbait where the blade spins freely on the drop.  You know it's gonna catch fish.  I've been adding a feathered treble to the tail of a few suspending cranks to add a little action while the bait sits at rest.  Once you get that first fish, you'll be trying to figure out how to add a spinner to a plastic crank.  I'd keep that one a secret until you can get a pattent on the idea  ;)

• Like 2

Thinking out of the box.

I like it.

I'm sure that lure will catch fish. I personally am not a tinkerer, but I know a lot of fish have been caught by folks like you who get creative and put something together from two or more other things.

Nice job. I believe anything that's a tad different than the norm will work.

I am a huge fan of prop baits and that thing is just too cool!

Sign me up for one in Louisiana Shad please!

I'm liking it.  It's almost the exact opposite of a short arm spinnerbait where the blade spins freely on the drop.  You know it's gonna catch fish.  I've been adding a feathered treble to the tail of a few suspending cranks to add a little action while the bait sits at rest.  Once you get that first fish, you'll be trying to figure out how to add a spinner to a plastic crank.  I'd keep that one a secret until you can get a pattent on the idea  ;)

Excellent idea...btw...where can you buy feathered trebles?