Sign in to follow this  

I thought that a leader is used to protect the line from being chewed up by the fish. If that is true then why is a leader needed when using braided line? :dazed-7:

A leader is/can be used for more than just that. Depending on the material (mono, fluorocarbon), you can use a leader to

1) preserve your investment in braid by only changing out the leader as needed

2) use a leader with braid for abrasion resistance if you're fishing in rocks, shells, etc.

3) use a leader for easily spooked fish - some feel braid being a solid can spook fish, so a leader can help there...

4) ... there's more others can add

• Like 1

I thought that a leader is used to protect the line from being chewed up by the fish. If that is true then why is a leader needed when using braided line? :dazed-7:

Braid has about zero abrasion resistance on rocks, mussels etc.

But as Darren stated, it has many other reasons.

• Like 1

A leader is/can be used for more than just that. Depending on the material (mono, fluorocarbon), you can use a leader to

2) use a leader with braid for abrasion resistance if you're fishing in rocks, shells, etc.

3) use a leader for easily spooked fish - some feel braid being a solid can spook fish, so a leader can help there...

i use a fluoro leader on my braid line for plastics mainly because of reasons 2 and 3 above... another good reason is that if you retie often, its easier and cheaper to cut fluoro (i use nail clippers) than braid.

• Like 1

Exactly!! #1 and #2....Is mainly why I use it, but recently I have learned the importance of #3. 

• Like 1

4) Pike

This one had a #9 shad rap deep in her mouth, 12 pound fluoro rubbing on her teeth all the way to the net.  Braid won't do that.

DSC_0214_zps849e5773.jpg

• Like 3

4.1) Fluoro can be a bear to manage, much easier if your only dealing with a few feet as opposed to 150yds.

• Like 1

It's used when your fishing a clearer body of water than braid will allow, braid isn't clear like Flurocarbon and can spook some skittish fish in clear water.

I do not use leaders with braid, I tie direct. All of the points mentioned above are very valid too me, I just have never personally have experienced any of them (that I know of LOL).  

all the reasons listed above..

and as a shock leader for braid as enough shock will snap even my 50# braid