Sign in to follow this  
Bass Menace

How Do You Fish The Recon And U-Vibe Worm?

Hi all

My second posting here and hoping for some ideas...

Our local dam Inanda has been fishing well lately. Spring is here and the majority of fish have already spawned as evident by the clouds of small bass fry in the shallows. The dam is warm (currently around 70f) and has Northern as well as Florida strain bass. Other species found are  carp, Tilalpia, catfish and bluegill. No craws but crabs are present. Water visibility is about 8', water colour is mainly a dark shade of green with lots of suspended algae and Daphnia etc. 

Over Winter we were catching plenty of fish 2lb+ and and very few dinks. Well the dinks have now come out of nowhere and are chasing down just about every bait you throw. 

http://www.streetmaps.co.za/default_home.aspx?x=30.853273333333327&y=-29.673760000000012&z=0.005&s=m&p=0

See link above, we mainly focus on the bays to the Northern side. The sides of the bays are mostly covered with floating type reeds that extend about 2 meters plus out into the water, creating nice shady areas for the bass to hide under. We have also caught a good few fish on the points and the old creek beds in 30'+ of water. Here again mainly fish around 2lb. 

See red circle, these reeds are very prevalent on the banks.

post-44285-0-11898400-1380789674_thumb.j

To win a comp on Sunday we need to get into some good fish. I have done some reading on this site and many of your larger fish have been caught on larger worms. 

So... how would you go about fishing the Recon and U-vibe worms in this dam? What weight would you use? I am thinking a slow drag along the bottom would be ideal. 

Colours that work best here are shades of green and brown. 

Thanks in advance!

Dennis

I like the 2 points on either side of the creek, I would throw a Recon in Falcon Lake color, 3\16 or 1/4 oz weight, 4/0 straight shank round bend hook. I would drag it on the bottom or short hops, I would fish up hill that is position the boat shallow & cast deep.

Thanks Catt....

Will have to go and get some Falcon Lake colour Recons. I bought watermelon red/black. Whats your thinking behind the reddish colour?

The Falcon Lake color is a reddish brown which perfectly imitates a crawfish's natural color.

I would also throw a Rage Tail Lobster in the same color.

If your body of water does not have crawfish just don't tell the bass!

I am a big believer in the U-vibe worms myself.  I have a lot of luck fishing it weightless over vegetation.  You can buzz that tail across the surface like a subtle buzzbait, but you can fish it much slower because of its bouyancy.  I prefer the greens but that's the color I have the most confidence in.  You can also use a small weight and texas rig the worm then run it like a swimbait or slow roll it like a spinner.  The u-vibe has incredible versatility with very little changes in rigging besides the size of the weight.  The tail also provides great action on the initial fall, I get a lot of bites just on the drop.