Sign in to follow this  
MO_LMB

How Would You Approach This Lake?

Just figured I would post this scenario to you guys to see how you would fish it.

I'm going to be fishing this Saturday the 5th on this lake. The lake is about 150 acres, so not very large. It also does not have shad. Forage is mainly bluegill, crawfish, and green sunfish. Grass and moss cover is pretty minimal, the bottom is mainly muddy and leafy with some rocks by the dam. There are some docks along the waters edge, some laydowns, but no significant amounts of cover.

Friday is supposed to be about 90 and sunny, with it transitioning to cooler and rainy on Saturday with a high of 75.

I have attached a topo map of the lake and if you want to look up the location in google maps, search the coordinates "38.758902,-91.035461"

Heres a link to the topomap http://www.topoquest.com/map.php?lat=38.75778&lon=-91.03551&datum=nad83&zoom=2&map=auto&coord=d&mode=zoomin&size=m

aspen topo.pdf

The major point at mid lake that has a creek arm leading to another lake is the first area I would focus on.

This is a 20' elevation map, nearly worthless. However, there is a 20' flat on this major point that drops into the main creek bed; fish that break.

The second area is the little cove and small point by the dam on the opposite shoe. This small point also has a flat that drops into the main creek bed and the creek bed has a fork; fish this break.

Tom

Thanks Tom. That topo map is pretty much all that is available that i could find.

Thanks Tom. That topo map is pretty much all that is available that i could find.

This is a good size lake and Navonics should have surveyed it and mad available a map.

Big lake that will need several trips to dail in, good luck.

Tom

MO_LMB: Since it appears that you have already started fishing this lake today, I hope you don't mind if I post under your topic with the same question but different lake...

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/9/Images/fishing/Lake%20Maps/pub274.gif

How would you fish this one?

MO_LMB: Since it appears that you have already started fishing this lake today, I hope you don't mind if I post under your topic with the same question but different lake...

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/9/Images/fishing/Lake%20Maps/pub274.gif

How would you fish this one?

Does this lake get a lot of bass fishing pressure from local clubs? Lot of recreational water use from boaters?

I would first divide the lake into 2 halves at blue ribbon point. The west end being flat and shallower, the east end being deeper with more structure to fish during the fall to pre spawn.

Good map if it's accurate! The original creek channel blue line isn't accurate, good enough to get an idea where it ran, more than likely silted in today.

Starting at the east end dam area, this zone has the most deep structure to fish and it's all shallow enough to hold bass.

First things first, determine where the thermocline is if there is one. Next locate bass on or near structure. Look for weed beds near deeper structure. I can't tell where weed beds would be located, could be the entire west end!

Need to log off and will get back to this later.

I am back... The island located near the dam looks interesting; there is a hump where the channel makes a S turn (shown as a straight blue line). The island slopes west to the hump that creates a saddle or funnel area, this is a big bass location and Inwould spend time fishing this spot and the sloping breakers within this basin. Sloping banks are good during fall, steeper bank breaks during winter. The bass will migrate towards the first spawning coves during pre spawn, then scatter towards the west end during summer.

The blue ribbon point is also interesting and needs to be checked and fished, however could get a lot of local pressure with a ramp there.

Tom

Wrb: unfortunately, the lake sees a lot of fishing pressure from weekend tournaments. There is a fair amount of recreational traffic, but a large portion of that is sail boats, which is nice.. Also, there is a slightly smaller lake 5 miles away that alleviates the pressure. I just started fishing it this year. I had a great spring but man was the summer tough. I'm hoping I can get back into them this fall. That was a great break down, thank you. I like getting a different perspective on the lake.