Slipknotdan316

New Rod And Reel Questions

Hello everyone, winter time is upon us and the hunt for new tackle begins.

I started fishing a few years ago and recently became somewhat of an addict. I have become proficient with multiple techniques, my favorite being senkos and recently, (too late in the season) drop shot.

My current setups are:

5'6"L no name celebrity rod

Pfleuger President 30

6lb pline floroclear

7'UL Ugly Stik Lite Pro (Walmart edition)

Shimano Spirex 2500rg

8lb Fireline Smoke

I live in RI and fish mostly largemouth in a mostly weedless pretty decent clarity pond, planning on more smallies and a trip to Maine.

I'm planning on buying a new combo but need some help.

I'd like a lighter weight combo that is still reasonably durable, 2pc(unless it's not too long) and preferably less than $100 for rod.

And a reel to match with spare spool less than $120.

Who does spare spools still? Abu,Pfleuger?

Thinking of trying hi vis braid/fc,832/???

Mostly senkos and more drop shot this year.

Thanks for reading my first forum post ever! If any questions feel free.

Thanks, Dan

I'm assuming you are looking at a spinning rod/reel? 

I normally prefer 2 pc rods so I'm not sure if the following suggestions can come in two 2pcs.

6'9" Fenwick Elite Tech Smallmouth rod - M/XF 100

Shimano Symetre 2500 FL $100

This is identical basically to my set up - with the exception mine is a 1pc and the Symetre is 2500 FI - I use it for a lot for Soft Jerkbaits, but I have used it as a DS rod, shaky head and wacky rigged  senkos 5" range. 

Spinning yes.

Around here giants 5lb+ are a rare occurrence. I like a bit more of a fight, I'm used to a light action rod, not sure if stepping up to med would end up feeling like a pool cue.

Does that come in a ml?

As for the reel I'm pretty sure shimano doesn't come with a spare spool.

I was looking around and found a few reels with the spare spool.

Daiwa Aird

Abu Orra S

Pflueger Supreme

Hoping to make this last a while so longevity factors in as well.

Welcome to Bass Resource.

Abu Garcia Veritas and a Revo S is a nice combo close to your price range. 

BPS Carbonlites are nice rods for $100.

medium/fast or medium heavy/fast

I use a medium light for fishing winter and early spring and I use it for light hair jigs and small tubes but that is the only time. The reels you are looking at will be fine but I do have a concern about where you want to go with a rod. As I said, medium light at the cold water period but in the summer, no, I have watched a guy kill 3 solid smallmouth that were all close to if not, 4lbs because he "preferred a fight" and while there is nothing wrong with fishing light tackle, ultra light and light is too light. In the warm water period if it takes you more than 3 minutes to land a bass, there is a good chance it will die, with a light and ultra light you are going to struggle bringing in a 2lber in that amount of time and you will never play out bigger fish in good time without some kind of luck. I see this happen a lot in a local lake that stocks trout, the guys going after trout with 4lb line with ultra light set ups and they hook a decent bass and it then takes them 5 to 7 minutes to land it and sure enough a few hours later it is floating belly up. try stepping up to at least a medium light, you'll be more equipped to handle a bigger fish and you will still have to fight the fish.

I'm assuming you are looking at a spinning rod/reel? 

I normally prefer 2 pc rods so I'm not sure if the following suggestions can come in two 2pcs.

6'9" Fenwick Elite Tech Smallmouth rod - M/XF 100

Shimano Symetre 2500 FL $100

This is identical basically to my set up - with the exception mine is a 1pc and the Symetre is 2500 FI - I use it for a lot for Soft Jerkbaits, but I have used it as a DS rod, shaky head and wacky rigged  senkos 5" range. 

This would be a great choice

The ugly stik isn't necessarily UL, comparing it to most rods it ends up having a medium light action backbone with a super noodly tip. And I can pull harder on it because it's ugly with out fear of breakage. I'm starting not to like that combo due to the weight of it.

I tried the president on it and it was uncomfortably tip heavy.

The choices for line seen endless and inconclusive for fluorocarbon.

The few that have sparked my interest are the

fc sniper 7lb

Invisx 8lb

Now would it be better to get a filler spool to use as a leader due to increased stretch, cost, and pliability?

Braid Sx1 or 832?

There aren't many comparisons with the sx1 that I've been able to find.

Does wielding a white rod spook fish? I like the veritas but it seems to be only a 1pc at my local bps

After some research, I've decided on the majority of the setup:

10lb sufix 832 hi vis

7lb sunline fc sniper (good leader?)

Pflueger supreme mg 30 size

Rod???

It appears that a large number of reviewers report that the veritas is brittle and breaks frequently and a similar story for the jm carbonlite.

Other rods that excel in the sub $100 category?

I'd suggest going straight FC in 8# (I like Seagar Red Label or InvisX) and skipping the braid altogether.  Great reel choice in the Pflueger.  Lots of rods could work.  I'd recommend a used high quality spinning rod.  I prefer a 7' Med power Extra Fast action.  Keep an eye on the flea market and other sites and you'll find a great rod for $100.  I can say that my experience with carbonlites has been very positive.

6'8 medium fast shimano compre. 100 bucks lifetime warranty. Good rod that does a lot of things well. If you search fleabay you can probably find a medium light as well.

I am a fan of the Fenwick Elite Tech Smallmouth series.  They have a 2-piece 6'9" M-XF $99.95 at fishusa.  Give one a try, and I think you will become a fan too.