michang5

Shimano Stradic 1000Fi Bail Sticking

I recently purchased a used Stradic 1000FI. The retrieve and drag are unbelievably smooth, and I've been fortunate to catch some 3s and a 4 on it already.

I'm very happy with it EXCEPT the bail is a bit sticky. Opening it is not a problem. Casting is not a problem. I always flip the bail by hand before the retrieve, but when I do so it only closes... say 4/5ths of the way. Applying a bit more pressure closes it completely. It seems a bit more sticky when it's cold out.

I've wiped down the two joint/juncture points where the bail and spool "arms" meet with a damp cloth. I pumped a bit of compressed air in between.

I've read suggestions to put a drop of reel oil and open/close the bail to work the oil in. I've read other suggestions that only a pro should try to fix the bail.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

I recently purchased a used Stradic 1000FI. The retrieve and drag are unbelievably smooth, and I've been fortunate to catch some 3s and a 4 on it already.

I'm very happy with it EXCEPT the bail is a bit sticky. Opening it is not a problem. Casting is not a problem. I always flip the bail by hand before the retrieve, but when I do so it only closes... say 4/5ths of the way. Applying a bit more pressure closes it completely. It seems a bit more sticky when it's cold out.

I've wiped down the two joint/juncture points where the bail and spool "arms" meet with a damp cloth. I pumped a bit of compressed air in between.

I've read suggestions to put a drop of reel oil and open/close the bail to work the oil in. I've read other suggestions that only a pro should try to fix the bail.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Got the same problem on one of my Stradic 1000FI's. I've taken the bail apart and found gouging in the plastic of the arm which houses the spring.

Thinking about sending it to DVT for maintenance. I've tried grease, oil, etc. (all reel specific), but nothing helps. Just have to make the full close by hand.

My other Stradic, slightly newer, doesn't have the problem.

Edit: I should say that I always close my bail by hand, but have to force this particular Stradic to fully close.

Edited by DarrenM
  • Like 1

I also have a Stradic 1000FI but luckily enough I've not experienced this issue. I would do as DarrenM did and take the bail apart and inspect it to see if your problem is indeed the same gouging issue he's experiencing. If so, and I suspect strongly that it is, then I think I'd either send it in to Shimano or try and fix the issue myself. There has to be something causing the damage so identifying this culprit would lead to ideas on how to resolve the issue.

Good luck in getting this sorted out and be sure to let us know when you do as I'm interested because one never knows when his own reel might follow the same path.

If the parts are clean and lubed with no signs of wear the bail wire could be bent. This puts side pressure on the arms and causes binding. You can try tweaking it a little by hand but be careful. It will probably need to be replaced eventually if it is bent.

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone, for identifying the possible issues.

After a failed attempt to clean and repair an old Sedona (which ruined it), I figured I would trust the professionals this time.

Took it in to a local repair shop. The guy behind the counter (not the repair person) said it might be overage of grease binding things up or a slightly bent bail.*

I should get it back in a few days to a week. Will report back.

*Of course when the guy flipped the bail a few times it wasn't so bad. Definitely more noticeable yesterday when I was out yesterday in the 40-degree temp.