Sign in to follow this  
andyfender

Aaron Martens- Does This Really Make Sense?

Braid (apparently) weighs less = lighter spool = easier start up.

My concern is the weighing less part. Braid seems to soak up water like a paper towel so I would think that it would weigh more then mono/fluoro when it gets soaked with water.

• Like 2

Super braids are water proof and have a Teflon coating.

It makes sense if you are as detailed as Aaron is with presentations. Aaron thinks in 1/64th oz weight increments, most of us think in 1/16 th or 1/8 oz increments.

We discussed this awhile back and bait casting spool weight is important.

Tom

• Like 1

it makes perfect sense it will definitely be lighter, however the reel that you are using has a lot to do with how noticeable the difference will be. if you have a heavy spool it wont make much difference, but you have a 50 size shimano or other reel made for finesse you will notice a difference.

Mitch

• Like 1

Running a mono as backer is alot cheaper,and has worked forever. I cant see doing it because of cost vs wieght. This is just my opinion though?

I agree with WRB that Martens is one of the most meticulous (some might say anal) guys out there. His attention to detail is one of his greatest strengths. I also think that in order to notice a real difference between a reel backed with braid and one with fluorocarbon or mono, a high quality reel with a light spool would be needed. I may try one reel this year backed with some old braid I have to test whether or not I have the equipment and hands to know the difference.