Sign in to follow this  
jdee

Please Recommend A Rod Reel Combo For Small Pond. (120' X 300')

please recommend a rod reel combo for small pond. (120' x 300')

some smallmouth bass (biggest one i caught was 4 pounds and some bluegills)

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home/Rods-Reels-Sale|/pc/105625080/c/109404180/Pfluegerreg-Trion-GX-7-Spinning-Combo/738383.uts?destination=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D109404180%26WTz_l%3DEML%253Bcat107519580&WTz_l=EML%3Bcat107519580%3Bcat109404180

would this combo work ok.

There are trees all around the pond making casting difficult. I am thinking a little ultralight with a 5 1/2' rod.

any opinions welcome

thanks

That will work just fine for those bluegill. Set your drag right and dont try to horse any bigger fish. My experience using ultralight is also to use a good quality line. Good luck.

I would recommend using a six and a half foot to seven foot spinning rod if your pond isn't too deep. If there are small mouth in there then you are most likely going to want to throw scaled down baits on lighter jig head and bait casting gear is not usually a good idea when throwing lighter and smaller baits. I would line the reel with 6 to 8 pound fluorocarbon and if there is a lot of wood or other types of hard cover I would go as big as 10 lb or even use braided line in the lighter range but remember to use a leader if you plan on using braid. The rod doesn't need to be anything over the top, a good medium action rod will work just fine. I fish a local here in NJ and while I primarily use a spinning rod for most of my pond fishing I do use my baitcaster at times. Sometimes the fish will absolutely crush larger baits. You need to know that there is no  exact science to what to use at any time and place, yes I know that you don't want to take a 5 foot rod with 2 lb test line stripper fishing but try to use what you're comfortable with not the next guy. When you get caught up in what everyone else is using then you lose comfort and more importantly confidence.

One last tip I would give is to keep your eyes open and if you encounter others fishing your pond or any other pond for that matter stop and talk to them they will probably have a better grasp on what works best for you area. good luck and be safe out there...

If the weeds and cover are not too thick, I would go with a 6'6" ML power spinnng set up, with a 1000 sized Shimano/Daiwa reel or xx25 size Pflueger reel. 8 or 10lb braid, and 6,or 8lb flouro for leader material.That will be enough rod to handle most any bass in all but thick cover, and yet still light enough if you want to switch to bluegill/panfish it will do that just fine. Your not going to get much casting distance out of a 5'6" rod which might be nessecary in a pond to reah fish out away from the bank, and eventhough once in a while a big bass can be subdued with UL powered equipment, it's not the right tool for the job.

Thanks guys for your recommendations. Spring feed pond has alot of trees on three sides and cat tails on the shallow side. Probably about 7-8 feet deep.  No one fishes this pond as it is hidden away in a tree farm on my property. I will take the chainsaw next time and clear out some casting spots. 

I have salt water fished all my life, mainly Outer Banks NC and Chesapeake Bay, but don't go as often as I would like. 

Never got into fresh water fishing until now. 

I want to take kids fishing there too so I will also need a couple of rod reel combos for them.

Also thinking of river fishing on the upper potomac in western MD and take day trips on the rivers in WV where I live.  I saw a guy pull a 4' catfish out of the Potomac near Hancock, Md. I think I remember Natural resources stating 1-2 per week under 24 inches is safe to eat depending on where caught. I probably wouldn't eat it,

Anyways looking forward to spring. 

welcome to the forum jdee.

also, i think that is an excellent combo at a fair price for a pond. i have the same trion reel mounted on a 5'6" Light ugly stik lite-pro rod. i use it to pond fish as well, it helps with not getting caught in trees so much. ive handled LM Bass up to 4lbs on it with ease. i use 6lb sufix siege on it. in the picture below i was using 8lb trilene xt

that trion on a 5'6 rod casts just fine for me. i fish a lot of weightless soft plastics on it(mostly baby rage craws) and small tiny crankbaits(rebel tad fry). i also use live bait on it for panfish.

Where do you live in WV?

post-31656-0-90375400-1391043676_thumb.j

hey thanks guys for your recommendations. I live in Berkeley Springs. Yep the trees are a fishing hazzard. lol

I think my chainsaw will correct this. lol