Sign in to follow this  
shootermcbob

? about split rings

I have to replace some split rings on some rapala DT6 and other various crankbaits including some smithwick rogues.

What are the most common sizes of split rings to use? I need to buy some and plan on buying a couple different sizes, but don't know which ones to get. The local tackle shop has them in 10 paks, but they are 3.29. What do you recommend? Thanks

Thanks for the help. I see they also have a parts sizing chart to help. It looks like size 1 would be comparable to what is on most of my cranks.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the help. I see they also have a parts sizing chart to help. It looks like size 1 would be comparable to what is on most of my cranks.

Thanks again.

Download and print that chart. It's the only place on the web I've seen that has one that comprehensive. It's gold when it comes to ordering hardware online.

I use size 1 on very small (1/4oz) crankbaits, size 2 on everything else.  I think the size 2 dominates on bass crankbaits and the wire on them is thicker.  The size 1 rings are pretty easy to deform when you're changing them out.  Suggest you get a good pair of split ring pliers - they're definitely worth the $$.

Thanks BobP. I do have some split ring pliers and they do make a difference. I didn't know which # of split rings to use.

Would there be a problem with using #2 on smaller 1/4 oz. baits?

I walked by the crafts department (they are remodeling the store and these are now an aisle item) and saw some jewelry making stuff so I took a look. They had beads, both glass and plastic, that were just the right size for rigging my plastic worms in a couple of different colors. Think it was $2 or so for a hundred or two.

Given that luck, I looked further and found split rings by the necklace stuff in the craft department. There was a bag of 240 in what look like size 2 and 4 for $2, so I got them also.