Sign in to follow this  
Mccallister25

Tree Stand Straps

I have two ladder stands that are gonna be out year round. I just set them out today for next year. What is everyone's take on the straps holding up? Does anyone keep theirs out all year?

If youre gonna let them up, change them to chain

This may sound stupid, but how would I go about keeping them up with chain? It won't be as tight as the ratchet straps, and no knots could be tied

It doesnt need to be tight like a ratchet strap. You put the chain as tight as you can get it, set the stand a little higher than wanted with as much slack out as you can get. Then the stand will slide down the tree a little. Once it does that lift the front of the platform up so the stand is collapsed against the tree and push down again, then fold the platform back out. Now, climb in with your harness hooked up, put your knee on the seat and lift the front of the platform with your toe again. Platform/Stand will slide down the tree maybe an inch or so, push the platform back out with your foot and what you have done is cam locked it. Its not moving now.

Watch how Dan Infalt does it with a lone wolf. Its the exact same thing except you are using chain. The tree gets skinnier as it goes up, so when the stand slides its pushing out on the chain, theres no need for ratchet straps. You can skip the first video if you want, but dan is a master hunter. The second video shows setting the stand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJEyFDBV7X4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gBOa-681Hk

If thats not making sense let me know. Hangons coming with ratchet straps is a new thing, they used to only come in chain or rope. Not a single stand I own uses a ratchet strap.

Wow I had a brain lapse there, youre using LADDER stands.

You can still use chain, you will need a chain binder.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_towing+load-binders

or a HEAVY working load turnbuckle (note that the weight limit on those $2 ones at the hardware store have a working load rating of about 90lbs)

http://www.e-rigging.com/three-quarter-inch-X-6-inch-Eye-Eye-Turnbuckle?gclid=CNKc9PvksLwCFStnOgodgjYAOA

The other way you could use chain on a ladder is to take and put a section on each side of the ladder and then lag bolt the chain to the tree(if your own land or permission). Unlike a hangon the ladder is supporting your weight, not the strap.

My worries with a stand staying out year round is animals can chew straps, they rot or fail and you never know it.

I wouldn't set them this early just because they are going to be out in the elements longer. I would set them maybe early August when the deer are bedded up. And strap wise go for the ratchet style straps. I personally DO not like the ones where you pull the strap through and it just stays in place. A lot of times it will slip a little