Sign in to follow this  
FL_Sharpshooter

Good Hook Sharpener?

Go to Lowes.  Somewhere in the store they'll have a sharpener display (check around the pocket knives).   I got one there made by Smith's.  It's metal, a bit over an inch wide with a single groove down the middle and comes with a nylon web sheath.  Mine works very nicely.  About $9.

If you like the stone type, there used to be one made by GATCO (Great American Tool COmpany).  Don't know if they're still made, but it was the best I've ever used.

Go to Lowes. Somewhere in the store they'll have a sharpener display (check around the pocket knives). I got one there made by Smith's. It's metal, a bit over an inch wide with a single groove down the middle and comes with a nylon web sheath. Mine works very nicely. About $9.

If you like the stone type, there used to be one made by GATCO (Great American Tool COmpany). Don't know if they're still made, but it was the best I've ever used.

Thanks a lot, I'll check this out next time I'm out by Lowe's.  It's a pain in the butt to sharpen all those by hand with a file.

If you like the stone type, there used to be one made by GATCO (Great American Tool COmpany). Don't know if they're still made, but it was the best I've ever used.

I really like the GATCO sharpener. AFAIK, it's still being made.

http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-58177.html?src=froogle&src1=kd&src2=gbase&utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=Product%2BSearch%2BEngine&utm_campaign=kd

Tom

That's the one.  The handle on mine came unglued so I just carry the stone around with me in the boat.  May have to buy another one. ;)

I've found nothing that works as good as my wife's nail file.

Berkley makes one that looks like an red and black aluminum pen called the THS Smart Hook Sharpener. It's very easy to make a fine sharp point with. Never go fishing without mine. It's about $10 BPS had it at one time but I think they quit carrying it.

Berkley makes one that looks like an red and black aluminum pen called the THS Smart Hook Sharpener. It's very easy to make a fine sharp point with. Never go fishing without mine. It's about $10 BPS had it at one time but I think they quit carrying it.

Did a quick google search on it, looks like a really nice one.  Thanks for telling me about it, I think I'm just going to get this one.

A while back this subject came up and I didn't have time to look up the sharpeners I use.  I was Finlay able to find them.

The first step is to use this sharpener.  Angler's Choice and Sportsman's Select :: Sharpening Tools :: Super Hook Sharpener

Hold the hook either with your fingers or needle nose pliers if you prefer and bring the back side of the point  along the grove.  The files are directional, so make sure you're holding the sharpener right.  Hold the hook at a slight angle so that point is getting the most metal removed.  When you are finished the back of the point should now be v shaped like a knife edge.

Next use a flat hone on the inside of the point.  Use light pressure to gently remove any burrs that may be left from the first sharpener.  This is the type of hone I use.  Diamond Mini-Sharp® Sharpener Fine - F70F - The Consumer Link.

When finished you should have a point that is triangular in shape.    Look up Trokar hooks to find out why this point style is so effective.  You can make your less expensive hooks perform the same as those that cost @ $10 for 5 hooks.