Sign in to follow this  
airborne_angler

Anything wrong with how these look?

Ive been playing with Jigs and trailers as I think Im gonna give em a whirl this year.

Pictured are identical 3/4 oz Hoppy Casting Jigs with Texas Craw skirts on both.

One of the Jigs has a shortened Rage Tail Lobster in Okechobee Craw Color

The other jig had the larger Chigger Crazy legs Graw,shortened in the Green Pumpkin Party Color

So as far as the trailer is concerned. Are they too long,too short or just right.

What about the color of the skirt and the color of the trailer how do they pair up. are the colors ok or do they contrast too much?

Any suggestions on either of these.

If im gonna fish jigs,I gotta know how to properly rig the trailers,with the proper length and color being important...right?

So far how am I doing?

Those look fine IMO. Those Crazy Legs craws are pretty big, but I have caught fish with them rigged like that.

I personally don't like them much because of how far those legs stick out on the jig. They will work though.

The crazy legs on the chigger craw are somewhat intrusive in the tank test I've done.They get all wrapped up in the skirt,and sometimes block the claws fromw any action. Even considering that aspect maybe those crazy legs will help trigger strikes?

If they crazy legs are too much much of a hinderance ,all I gotta do is take the crazy legs off.I do like the look of the jig with the trimmed lobster.

The one on the left looks really good. The color combines well and it gives a true to life look for the bait. The one on the right i think would throw the bass of with the long legs sticking out.JMHO

The Rage Lobster and Craws are a great trailer for a jig, but IMHO I rather a beaver of some type, like a Yo Momma from Big Bite Baits for early in the year.  The Rage products have too much action for cold weather jigging.  Nothing in the water moves THAT much when the water temps are in the low 50's.  Once the water warmes in to mid 60's tho, all i use is Rage craws for trailers.  Also, your colors look great, should catch fish for sure!!

They look great! The only problem with the one on the right, is it doesn't have a Rage Tail on it! That's not true that they have too much action for cold water, either. I was out two days ago, and the only thing that caught me bass, was Baby Craws, and the water was 45 degrees in the river I was fishing.

That big presentation should work pretty well for you!

Both look good to me... I also like short compact trailers in colder waters and your Lobster set up is the same profile jig and length of Lobster as my favorite cold water offering.

Big O

www.ragetail.com 

The one on the right is something i fished this past season. I think i fished it a bit shorter though. Not sure, ha ha. Take one more little notch in the main body off and see how it looks. The claws won't stick out, but they will add some bulk and irregularity to the skirt.

And try some lighter jigs too. 3/4 oz would be at the very top of the jig weights i've seen fished. I usually start with a 3/8oz and figure it out from there.

They look great and IMO they each have their own personality. The larger chunk will have a slower fall rate which will help when the fish have smaller strike zones and are less active. The other one should have plenty of action, a faster fall rate, and I would use it for more active fish. They both look awesome to me and should work fine.

And try some lighter jigs too. 3/4 oz would be at the very top of the jig weights i've seen fished. I usually start with a 3/8oz and figure it out from there.

Depending on where Im fishing I use a 1oz the most this time of year.

I like the crazy legs t-rigged by itself and use the chigger chunks for jigs, but you should catch fish with it.