Sign in to follow this  
bkohlman

Wisconsin Basses....i Need Assistance!

I am going to Fish Creek this summer....July 18-20 to be exact. I am looking to find some decent shore fishing opportunities, since I am too cheap to hire a charter. I would also appreciate some tips for catching those Sturgeon Bay smallies.

I will return the favor if you ever make it down my way, thanks!

In July, you probably won't be getting any bass from the shore of Lake Michigan.

• Like 1

Fish Murphy's park south of egg harbor. Little cement pier though. Sometimes can be very good in summer in the lower light hours. Also ephraim offers some good shore fishing at times.

• Like 1

You also can rent boats in sister bay I believe and throw cranks or other plastics along the steeper banks and you'll get plenty of fish

• Like 1

I was up there last year that time and the fish were just moving out to the deeper water (a drop shot bite).  I was in a kayak, but Pen. State Park has some good water by it.  

I would recommend trying to get a boat to use though, some of the really good spots I caught them on in the past are too far away from shore.  

Green Pumpkin 3" tubes

Avacado Kalins 5" Grub

Yum Crawbug in green pumpkin or watermelon red flake (drop shotted)

BTW, I caught a 6.5 lb smallie there 5 years ago dropshotting a green pumpkin crawbug around rocks in 20' deep...and you will see the bottom easily.

• Like 1

Check where I am from, I fish up there quite often. Pretty tough to catch them from shore at that time of year. Might want to put on a pair of shorts and sneakers and wade out as far as you can. Throw crawfish colored tubes. Great shoreline in the state park just south of where you are going. Good luck.

• Like 1

Check where I am from, I fish up there quite often. Pretty tough to catch them from shore at that time of year. Might want to put on a pair of shorts and sneakers and wade out as far as you can. Throw crawfish colored tubes. Great shoreline in the state park just south of where you are going. Good luck.

I don't think he will gain munch by doing that. He might get what 5-10 feet from shore. 20 feet if he is lucky. Before it gets to deep to touch bottom.  At that far out. He could be fighting 1-2ft waves. If not bigger if the wind is out of the west. plus fighting undercurrent all day. You know as well as I do. The current along the shore can be very bad. It is bad more then it is good. Then throw in waves. I suggest he is a very good swimmer. Before even getting in Green bay.

Yes you can see bottom. I have seen the bottom at 30 plus feet in many areas. The zebra muscles have cleaned up the lake a lot. When I moved from sturgeon Bay when I was 12. The lakes and shipping canal was a Forrest green color. When I came back some 6 years later. It could almost see bottom . Going over the old steel bridge.