Sign in to follow this  
FishinFool22

Crappie Combo

Hey guys in the market for a new crappie rod and reel. I am not trying to break the bank but I do want to get one that will last a couple seasons. I will be using it to cast jigs. Any recommendatios? Thanks

Man I bought one of those 6 foot medium action mike iaconelli Abu Garcia spinning combo's about a month ago when I was out of town on sale for $25 and I love it for throwing a 1/16 ounce crappie jig

• Like 1

I use a 6'6" ML BPS Bionic Blade with a 1000 shimano sienna. There are a ton of different brands out there, but for me I haven't found a rod I like for crappie fishing better than this one. This combo cost me $70 about 5 years ago. 

Good old Zebco 33 @$30 and a ugly stick @$30 and your good to go for a lifetime. Just change the new line on the 33 cause the stuff they put on it is like cable. 6 lb. trilene xl will work fine.

By ".....break the bank....", just what do you mean? Under $100.....under $50.......cheaper? You can spend whatever your mind can conjure up these days. So much to choose from. However, if you are looking a quality crappie rod that will perform well and not cost a lot (in my opinion), then take a look at the B n' M Sam Heaton "Super Sensitive" in the 7' length. I have two of these rods and have been using them for a lot of years. Great sensitivity and backbone. Cost a bit less than $50.00, which I do not consider to be "expensive" for a rod. But then again, I do not know what your budget is. Match that rod with any 3 bearing, light spinning reel (many on the market to choose from) and you're good to go! :)

I spent $50 last year on an ultralight Quantum spinning combo that I absolutely love for panfish and ultra light bass fishing. I spooled it with some 4 lb test flourocarbon and the thing casts a mile with even a 1/16 oz jig on it.

I use a 6'6" BPS MicroLite ultralight rod and a (now discontinued) Pflueger Trion GX 4725 reel. It's a great combo for crappie, panfish, trout and ultralight bass fishing.

Tom

I use a light fenwick eagle gt, rated 1/16-3/8.  Pair that up with a 20size Pflueger Trion.  I love this little setup, its so lightweight and easy to fish all day.  Handles smaller baits really well and is easy to carry into small areas, backpacking, canoes, etc.

Go look up Pinacle tiny plus. I have it and it works like a charm.