iceintheveins

Lews Tourney Mg Vs. Super Duty Speed Spool

I've settled on a Lew's for my next reel, either of these two models. Should I spend the extra fifty on the Super Duty or save the rest for more lures? I'm going to get the 5.4:1 for deep cranking. 

Tournament mg will be fine for that. The super duty is lighter but has brass gearing for really heavy duty stuff so for cranking I would say it is unecessary. The low gear ratio super duty is meant for a rigs, swimbaits etc

Tournament mg will be fine for that. The super duty is lighter but has brass gearing for really heavy duty stuff so for cranking I would say it is unecessary. The low gear ratio super duty is meant for a rigs, swimbaits etc

I see the reference to brass gearing mentioned a lot and I don't understand how that makes the superduty stronger? A lot of reels have brass gearing, even the regular speed spool. Is it a higher strength brass?

It seems the real strength benefit of the super duty is the aluminum handle side plate instead of graphite.

I also would suggest the BB1 for cranks and not either of the mag beak models you have chosen, but thats just me...

Mitch