MainelyBASS

Any Decent Bank Fishing Opportunities In Sarasota Florida

Heading to Sarasota on vacation and will be staying with inlaws in a gated community in Sarasota. I will be fishing Okeechobee at some point, but would also like to wet a line as often as possible.Looking for largemouths. Thanks for the help.

I recommend throwing Senkos, crankbaits, and lizards. I have been casting up close to the banks and sometimes the fish will take it as soon as you drop it on its bed. The temperature just dropped here in Orlando, i'm not sure if it did in Sarasota but if it is cold just remember to work the baits slow and find the tempo the bass like. Good Luck!

• Like 1

I would look on Google. Use maps with street view to see if you can spot anything nearby.

*edit* 5 minutes on there and I would say.....

Nathan Benderson Park looks decent.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=sarasota+florida&ll=27.358876,-82.455107&spn=0.003859,0.013937&hnear=Sarasota,+Sarasota+County,+Florida&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=27.359248,-82.45487&panoid=aBzaJ3hs10C9HKt3OuWVfg&cbp=11,106.14,,0,-1.73

My grandparents used to live in Sarasota when I was a kid, and we'd go down and visit over spring break or during the summer. Of course, I'd bring my rod with me and go fishing.

If I knew what their address used to be, I'd show you some specific spots on Google Maps. But basically, I looked for small bridges near residential areas (the bridges were probably 50-100 feet wide, and there were *tons* of them all over the city). Most were easy to get under, and the fishing was almost always great. If I were going down to fish from shore, that's what I'd do. Just keep an eye out for those little bridges as you're coming into town and driving around. Seemed to be a good combination of shade and structure, I guess.

Edited to add: I fished from under the bridges, not from on top of them. 

Thanks fishva! I will definitely keep that in mind when I head down there. I just booked my bass boat from roland martins marina yesterday. I am looking forward to warm weather fishing. 27 inches of ice in our lakes right now in Maine. Last year at this time most of the lakes were just getting ready to open up fully.

Visited Sarasota for a couple weekends while my wife was taking a CEU class there.  Lakewood Ranch is ok, Celery Fields much better.  3-5 pounders up in lily pads, and edge of grass beds.  You can hit the rowing lake just off I-75, old locals call it something odd but the park is Nathan Benderson, and catch a lot of little guys there.  There are a bunch of unnamed ponds along some of the main roads, like Bahia Vista, and those are good.  Basically, try every pond.  I fished 6 and only got skunked at 1.

I recommend you try the beaches for Snook. 

Stop by by a local tackle shop on one of the barrier islands, I know there's one on Siesta Key and another in Bradenton Beach, and they will tell you the best lures to use and point you in the right direction. You just walk along the beach and cast really close to the sand.

Bass tackle works fine. Light or medium spinning tackle is what is normally used. Just tie on a piece of fluoro leader and you're set.

The folks at the tackle shops are usually very helpful. 

-

Snook season is now in full swing so you should try it at least once. Even if you don't catch anything a few hours walking up and down the beach ain't bad. To top it off, if you catch a decent snook you will forget about the bass. Really.

One other suggestion is Myakka State Park. Not sure but they might rent Kayaks. 3 possible problems here though. 1 - the recent storm may have the park closed due to high water. 2 - don't think they open real early and it is still really hot down here, especially if you aren't used to it. 3 - If you are squeamish about gators, forget about it. They won't mess with you but the place is packed with them. Years ago sitting in one spot I counted 50 and that excluded those under 6 feet. One was over 16 feet long. I don't mind them but I was born and raised here and have been around them all my life.