Sign in to follow this  
Amarley

How Do You Fish Soft Plastic Jerkbaits?

Want to get better with this lure this spring. I've used a 3-way swivel and doubled-up on them before and have had some fun with them, but always forget about them. Went and bought a few packs last night. What's your favorite way to fish this lure? Weightless, on a jig head, dead-stick, erratic retrieve? What type of cover do you look for?

Thanks for the advice!

Double fluke rig is fun but the most versatile way for me is weightless on a EWG and on and around any shallow to medium cover, including stumps, laydowns, docks and dock poles, under over hanging bushes and low hanging trees, parallel to emergent weedlines like water willow ans tulies, parallel to submergent weedlines like hydrilla, and over submerged weeds , cocentrating my pauses over the holes or open areas.

A general jerk jerk pause jerk jerk jerk pause is my main method.

Soft plastic flukes and alike are a great way to both search fish in shallow to med water and to trigger vicious strikes from other wise lathargic or the ever elusive cruiser. But you have to come to it with mind set of using a jerkbait...meaning your presentation has to go along with the mood of the fish as far as speed and intensity of the jerks. My retrieve and action is much faster late in the year than in the early spring. I will also make use of dead sticking the bait when a more subtle, slower retrieve is needed.

Its a bait that can shine all year but can be a flat out star certain times of year. During the pre spawn when fish are staging it can be electric if you can use it where the fish are. I also like it a lot on isolated cover ares and ambush points especially in the fall when bass are chasing shad hard. Double fluke rig can shine here too.

I rarely put a fluke or caffeine shad on a jig head unless its on an Alabama Rig or maybe a fluke Jr on a scrounger or a swim jig but only when I know I have to tone the action down for something more subtle.

Its a bait that I like on a med or MH 7' rod..casting or spinning.

Up where I am the jerk, jerk pause approach didn't seem to get them to bite.  When I slowly reeled them with a weighted hook I got a ton of bites.

Felix, I'm the exact opposite, ive tried it that way witht the straight tail jerk baits and not much production. That method however has been very effective with the paddle tail baits like the money minnow, keitechs, shadalicious, and swimming flukes etc.

Not saying that it doesn't work, it just hasn't done well for me...

I only use the swimming fluke not the straight tail. I struggle like hell trying to hook a fish on these things though. 3/0 wide gap for a swimming fluke jr. 5/0 for the bigger but I've been using screw lock hook on them lately