Sign in to follow this  
OkobojiEagle

Rapala Thug

Somebody tell me about the Rapala Thug, pros & cons... from your own experience please.

oe

One of my favorite cranks, I love throwing it around rip rap and shallow points with hard bottom. They have the diving depth listed as 4' to 8', I use 12# mono and throw to shallow rip rap areas, basically anywhere you would throw a DT 6. The thing with the Thug is it gets down quick, like 45 degree banks are awesome to fish and I tyook 14 off of one bank last year with the red crawdad color. The reason is it on the bottom in the first 5 feet so you can bang it down the bank until you hit like the 6' depth, with 12# mono I get it to about 5' or so. Anyway, it is one of those bait that the fish seem to really want to kill it, I never get bites on it where the rod just loads up, it is usually a good smack, and it is remarably durably, the bills on my are scratched up terrible but that is it. For colrs, you only need two but I have 9 baits, 3 each of 3 different colors, pearl gray shiner when the water is clear, red crawdad when the water is stained, and bleeding olive shiner when the water is stained but there is still 3' of visibility.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Love throwing it around riprap. Dives at good angle to follow the drop of the rocks. Few hangups too.

I haven't thrown it much.  It has a more risto rap like body than a deep bellied DT baits, has a louder rattle and wiggles in the middle of the bait with equal amounts of head and tail movement.  

I haven't thrown it at Okoboji but I kill em with DTs there.  The DT-20 and DT-6 are some of my hottest baits.  They also pull the occasional big walleye too. 

I really liked the thug and that post about fish just trying to kill it is dead on, every fish I've caught with it completely smacked it. I need to add a few more to my crankbait box, I lost my last one and haven't gotten around to replacing my supply yet.

Thanks for the info... is it balsa or plastic?

oe

Balsa.