Sign in to follow this  
buzzfrog

School Me

99% sure I am picking up a 20ft pontoon 90hp mercury. anyway I have no clue on depth finders and trolling motors. I mean I have used them in friends boats but as messed with them, I have no clue what to buy. all I know is I want a colored nice depth finder and a foot powered trolling motor, opnions. I dont want cheap but I dont want a kvd package lol

my frined was joking since, atm this will be a family boat, some of the time, go and just  buy one of those baterry operated small ones people use fo yaks

Figure out a budget and what you feel is necessary as far as options. Not cheap is a relative term and could mean $100 $500, or $5000 depending on the source. KVD could very well have $10k worth of electronics on his boat. Do you just want color? do you want a gps/chartplotter? imaging? Screen size? etc?

maybe a grand for both. I am not sure what the finder could do, i mean  Ive looked a few up and been reading threads on here, I dont need all the side imaging etc, but gps and stuff to show contour lines, humps, old road beds, stuff like that would be nice, have no clue on trolling motor. I just want to push the boat 

A trolling motor big enough to push a 20 foot pontoon around will probably need to be 24v. I'd suggest a Minn Kota with electric steer you can operate from anywhere on the boat. That alone with the 2 batteries needed will eat up more than your $1,000. Cable steer models can be a lot less.

electric steer? it that foot pettled and 2 batteries, so 1 for just boat  motor and 2 more for a total of 3 in boat

Electric steer is foot and/or remote controlled. Yes, 2 batteries for the trolling motor and 1 for the big motor and accessories.

thanks, I am trying to learn,  link me to a few good ones, on bps looking right now, doubt I'll pay that for one, my look used or somewhere