Sign in to follow this  
Tyson Holman

Oregon Bass Fishing

My wife and I are considering moving to Oregon. How is the bass fishing there? I'm from Nebraska and the bass fishing here is alright. I would like to make sure Oregon has good bass fishing before we move. Thanks 

Lived there for sixty years before moving to Tennessee.  The smallie fishing on the Columbia above Bonneville is awesome and world class.  But you can't let the wind bother you.  There are some smaller coastal lakes and a few valley lakes but nothing bigger than 3000 acres.  Washington too has some good waters and they are a bit bigger.  Oregon and Washington are salmon, steelhead, and trout waters and they have "unique" feelings about their slime rockets.  A political mess....bass is trash mentality.

Sorry not so much wine and roses but I did love love love the Columbia.  They hadn't destroyed it to bad before I left.

Good Luck

Yeah in lefty states where there are a lot of salmon and trout, sometimes they try and blame bass for declines and won't manage them properly, or even propose to kill some of them. But Oregon has some great smallie fishing on the Columbia, but also the Umpqua and John Day if you prefer a more modest sized river.

While the Umpqua River and Columbia River get tons of credit, Southern Oregon Lakes, such as Lake Selmac (largemouth responsible for 2 state records, potential third) Agate Lake ( primarily largemouth with a few smalljaws, 7, 8, and 9 plders are caught every year) Emigrant Lake (smallmouth and largemouth) Hyatt Lake for numbers in Largemouth, Applegate for smallmouth, and many more lakes have OUTSTANDING bass fishing in southern OR. Recently caught my new PB @ Lake Selmac (Take exit 55 on I5, get on Redwood Highway and youll see signs after about 20 miles) and my buddy pulled out a 4 and a 5 MINUTES before on back to back casts.