Preytorien

Reducing Tendency To Tangle

On a recent video that Gene posted he talked about immersing spooled line in boiling water to eliminate the line from popping off the spool of the spinning reel. I tried it and wouldn't ya know it, it actually works quite well.

I was wondering, would this also help reduce tangles on a baitcast reel with 20lb flourocarbon on it?

Just take the spool out and set in the boiling water for 5 or so minutes.

What do you think?

You can try it, but I would just use the KVD line conditioner.  For some reason even if boiling did work, I would question the strength factor after subjecting it to high heat. Both flouro and mono.  The heat could change the dia of the line as well as make weak spots in it for it possibly being stretched and no longer being uniform after winding it on. I would hate to try something like this and loose a fish of a lifetime due to the line failing from something I did to it.  But odds are if it broke first thing to blame will be the line and not the fact that it was boiled prior to spooling.  Just my opinion and hope that I'm wrong, I just wouldn't take that risk.

The last thing I wanna do us take my 100 dollar SV spool with 25 dollar line on it and immerse it in boiling water. Doesn't seem like a good idea to me. If the line is giving you that much trouble with line conditioner, get a different line.

What about putting the spool of line in water before putting it on your reel?

Been doing it for 30 years, not so sure about boiling water I just luke warm tap water.  I first saw this being done on a charter boat may years ago, the mate just soaked the line in sea water in a bucket.  I've caught many large fish on mono lines without the line being compromised in any way.  I've use KVD and it works but I don't use it any more, I limp my line out with the soaking method and troll it out before I fish, line is perfect.

This is basically the same principle as how you can straighten out bent up plastics. Put a cup in the microslave and dunk a bent up plastic in there to get it to go back to its original shape.

I don't know of I would really want to dunk my spool though just because of the bearings. I guess if they were sealed then it shouldn't be a problem.

I don't know of I would really want to dunk my spool though just because of the bearings. I guess if they were sealed then it shouldn't be a problem.

I do believe this method is primarily for a spinning reel.  If the line is already spooled on the reel, really don't have to take the spool off the reel (little easier if you did), just old the spool sideways and let the water flow onto the line only, the drag pads won't get wet that way.

Got it guys. I have KVD, which I sprayed the line last night with it. So that should set me on the good path.

Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback