Sign in to follow this  
jhoffman

Homebrewing/wine Making Gripe

If someone decides to share their hard work with you, at least return the clean bottle in which it came in minus a label if it has one. Heck for that matter even the bottle would be nice.

I reuse bottles and cleaning labels has me considering buying them. The nice ones are $20 a case.... empty!

So to all in the world, if someone gives you some of their home made potion to sip on, at least give the bottle back.

Really? You give someone something and expect them to give part of it back?

I have never heard of such.

If someone decides to share their hard work with you, at least return the clean bottle in which it came in minus a label if it has one. Heck for that matter even the bottle would be nice.

I reuse bottles and cleaning labels has me considering buying them. The nice ones are $20 a case.... empty!

So to all in the world, if someone gives you some of their home made potion to sip on, at least give the bottle back.

I'm with ya! When I've had home brew from a bud, I always give the bottle back. AND I give empty bottles of store bought brews to him as well. He's stopped brewing lately, but this was the norm for a while. Simple courtesy, IMO.

Really? You give someone something and expect them to give part of it back?

I have never heard of such.

It is a little different when you are given a home brew item.  You are being given the elixir inside, not the bottle.  I always return the bottles if i receive such a gift but I also know that is the deal because i had a buddy who used to brew some beer.  I would guess it is more of a lack of understanding of what is involved and the difficulty/expense of obtaining the bottles and that they can be reused.  

I do the same thing if i am given a mason jar of vegetables or sauce or apple sauce or whatever.

It is a little different when you are given a home brew item.  You are being given the elixir inside, not the bottle.  I always return the bottles if i receive such a gift but I also know that is the deal because i had a buddy who used to brew some beer.  I would guess it is more of a lack of understanding of what is involved and the difficulty/expense of obtaining the bottles and that they can be reused.  

I do the same thing if i am given a mason jar of vegetables or sauce or apple sauce or whatever.

Good point. For me it was just a common courtesy to give back his bottles. I know of the expense involved in his little homebrew operation, so it just made sense to do that for him.

I guess us Okies are different. We make and share and never expect an empty bottle. I suppose it is different up north.

Maybe or it might just be that being geographically challenged is the culprit too since Oklahoma really isn't much further south than VA.... :D 

I would also guess that if you routinely exchanged home brews that you would be returning the same bottles that you were given but the same person.

My big thing too is i don't have a place to store all of them anyways so i figure i might as well give them back.

Same thing with maple syrup.    For every dozen jugs/bottles I give away I might see two empty jugs/bottles back.   I generally just plan on buying all new containers every year.

Maybe or it might just be that being geographically challenged is the culprit too since Oklahoma really isn't much further south than VA.... :D 

I would also guess that if you routinely exchanged home brews that you would be returning the same bottles that you were given but the same person.

My big thing too is i don't have a place to store all of them anyways so i figure i might as well give them back.

Now now. Don't go arguing semantics. We all know your learning to be a teacher. Sheesh.

Now now. Don't go arguing semantics. We all know your learning to be a teacher. Sheesh.

Not really semantics, more geography but i don't want to nit pick :) 

And for the record i am going to teach elementary school so that should tell you something........

I've never considered returning the gallon plastic jugs I get my booze in. I honestly never figured they wanted them back. I mean half the times its just a washed out milk jug. Who the hell puts shine in glass bottles anyway? :confused:

Not really semantics, more geography but i don't want to nit pick :) 

And for the record i am going to teach elementary school so that should tell you something........

ROFLMAO!

Way to set me straight. How dare I. All hail the mighty primary school teacher. :D :D

Im starting to feel the urge to return to college myself. That will be on my new thread tomorrow though.

• Like 1

Do it while you still can is all i can say...but i will get into more details....on your thread, tomorrow :) 

• Like 1