Sign in to follow this  
Incognito

Rod Action For A Noob

Well, it's time for me to invest in a new rod.  I've narrowed my choice down to the Fenwick HMX or the Fenwick HMG, and I'm not 100% percent sure on the reel yet.  I generally only carry one rod with me seeing that I fish from shore.  So, I need your help choosing length, action, and the taper.  I mostly throw crankbaits and topwater baits, but lately I'm getting into jigs and weightless plastics.  I fish in lakes with an abundance of weeds and mats. The rivers I fish are filled with large rocks and downed trees.  I primarily go for smallmouth, if their not biting, then largemouth.  Occasionally large pike take my bait.  Currently, I've been looking at seven foot rods with a medium heavy application. However, seeing that I throw baits varying from 1/8 ounce  to 1 ounce, should I look at lighter actions?  My favorite style of fishing is definitely hollowed bodied frogs, if that helps.  

All tips are greatly appreciated. 

7'MH fast action

X2 on this being your best bet for an all around rod. From what you are describing though, you might be asking an awful lot out of a single setup.

I know I'm asking a lot for one setup, but that's all I can afford.  I'll still use my old baitcaster and spinning reel from time to time.  Except, they just aren't cutting it.  In both reels the anti-reverse is shot.