Sign in to follow this  
1099gl

Is The Duckett Ghost Worth The Money?

just wondering if I should buy it or save my money for a different rod. I have heard alot of good things. also where is a good place to buy one?

I plan to try one my self. I'd wait til TW memorial sale and that way you get 15% off :)

I love them micro magics so I'm willing to give the ghosts a chance.

I have one and really like it.

I have four and really like them. There are a lot of good rods in the $100 range. I have used the Compre, Veritas, Bucoo, and St Croix Rage. All good rods and pretty much at the right price point. Some people don't like the guides, but it is really a personal thing. I use braid on 2 of my rods and I haven't noticed any "grooving".

There is a good bit of anglers that seem to like them, the problem with them will show in a season or two when the guides begin to fail. The only problem I have with them is the chrome inserts they use, most guide manufacturers quit using chrome inserts when braided line became a staple in the angling world, remember all the adds for rods saying they now have guides that can withstand braid? I remember that in the mid 90s and that is when the use of ceramic inserts became common place on most rods but I'd be willing to bet that the anglers who go out at least 3 times a week and use braided line will see the inserts groove or crack within a year, if you don't use braid you shouldn't have much, if any problem. So, is it worth the money? If you like it then it is, I think the blank feels fine, but for me, I can't get pass the chrome inserts but if you like the look and feel then it will be worth it too you, good luck with your choice.

Thanks for the help guys!

There is a good bit of anglers that seem to like them, the problem with them will show in a season or two when the guides begin to fail. The only problem I have with them is the chrome inserts they use, most guide manufacturers quit using chrome inserts when braided line became a staple in the angling world, remember all the adds for rods saying they now have guides that can withstand braid? I remember that in the mid 90s and that is when the use of ceramic inserts became common place on most rods but I'd be willing to bet that the anglers who go out at least 3 times a week and use braided line will see the inserts groove or crack within a year, if you don't use braid you shouldn't have much, if any problem. So, is it worth the money? If you like it then it is, I think the blank feels fine, but for me, I can't get pass the chrome inserts but if you like the look and feel then it will be worth it too you, good luck with your choice.

Do you think that's covered in their warranty?

Do you think braids like smack down which are supposed to not make that "noise" through guides would make then last longer?

Do you think that's covered in their warranty?

Do you think braids like smack down which are supposed to not make that "noise" through guides would make then last longer?

It isn't actually the line, it is the debris that the line picks up. Mono and fluorocarbon are smooth so the dirt and little tiny wood bits and other stuff in the water doesn't stick to them too much but it does get stuck on the braided line and that is what makes it so abrasive. Chrome inserts are the softest ceramic insert made, and they will be good for the warranty period, no doubt about that but and it isn't what I would call a bad rod but for the $100 dollar price point they could have used stainless with zirconium or even plain aluminum oxide, both of those are fine with any line but chrome is going to really wear fast unless you don't use braid, then you'll have no problem.

I had a spinning rod with chrome inserts and the tip grooved after 1 season using braid. 

I purchased one this winter and after using it since late february I have been pleased. My only issue is the clear coat is already cracking and flaking off right where the duckett logo is...

And for everyone that is worried about the guides and braid issue, the soluition is simple. Dont buy this rod to use for a braid specific technique! Mine is a 7'6" mh cranking rod that I use for deep cranking so I am always either using fluoro or suffix deep cranking mono. No issues with these lines and the chrome guides.