Sign in to follow this  
NorthIDBasser

Swimbait Hooksets

Just wondered if anyone could offer some advice on the best hookset for fishing a huddleston swimbait with the single exposed hook on top...I keep hearing different theories and it seems like I have lost as many fish as I have caught. Any advice appreciated...

The hookset is important best advice i can give from my experience is a reeling sweep. after that there is no grace in fighting the fish i winch them in as fast as possible and net them. a jig hook on a hudd is easily thrown unless its back in their crushers.

• Like 1

The hookset is important best advice i can give from my experience is a reeling sweep. after that there is no grace in fighting the fish i winch them in as fast as possible and net them. a jig hook on a hudd is easily thrown unless its back in their crushers.

Way to end a thread with one response!     Pretty perfect advice here.

I'm glad I read before I responded because I would have suggested the same hookset used for most single hook baits.  The only time I sweep set for that is when C-rigging which is the exact set BH described.  I'll have to give it a shot if I start missing fish.

Personally I do like a upward sweep at like a 45 as hard as I can for top hooks. For me personally I have the best luck on weedless style huds doing a normal kind of sweep I guess. I pretend I am trying to pull it out of there mouth. Switching to this method has greatly increased my hookups on the weedless versions.