Sign in to follow this  
HeavyFisher

Purchased Some New Plastic

Hey guys, looks like i'll be joining you kayakers shortly. I just purchased the Big Tuna. Being a first time kayaker I did a lot of research on exactly what I wanted. Something that tracks well, used mainly in lakes and the Hudson River, and is very stable. I love standing up when I fish, I've been a shore fisherman all my life and I prefer standing.

I originally thought I would be getting a one seater. The models I looked at were the Jackson Cuda 14, Old Town Predator 13, Native Craft Slayer 14.5, and the Ride 135. From what I could conclude from the various reviews and specs was the Old Town Predator 13 would be the most stable which was perfect for me and could still track "ok".

Then I discovered the Big Tuna. A tandem fishing kayak that has everything I wanted plus more. It has the stability I want, great tracking, plus you could comfortably fit two people in multiple different seating arrangements which was the selling point for me. There are a lot of other really neat features like a live bait well built into the yak. One down side is it's super heavy weighing in at 87lbs and that's without the seats(102lbs) and considering I'll be going a lot by myself loading and unloading is gna be a royal pain. I drive a Honda Civic Si Sedan and plan on using 20" foam blocks to transport the yak on.

Hopefully I'll be receiving my kayak within the next few weeks here. I'll make sure to take tons of pictures and update my post when I get her. I'm super eager to go out on the Hudson for the fist time and catch a striper. Season starts next month! Hopefully this post will help others in the same situation as me.

Here are some pics I found online:

post-45461-0-36291800-1397868924_thumb.j

post-45461-0-76039200-1397868939_thumb.j

Here is the review that helped sell me on it:

Heavy, I think you will like it, jackson makes some quality products. I recently bought a Cuda 12 and have loved every minute of it. One thing I would recommend though is to buy and actual roof rack. I too have a Civic Si sedan and I used the Hobie speed foam (or something like that) roof top system. After 3 days of back and forth to the lake I noticed a small flat spot forming on my roof where the back door straps were. This was with my cuda that weighs 68 lbs. I have ordered a roof rack and it will be in tomorrow and I think I will be much happier with it. Have fun and be safe with the new yak. It is awesome being able to hit all the spots in your lake/ river and start having more success.

Thanks man, I'm a real fanatic about the paint on my car always washing and waxing. Thanks for the info, ill go ahead and pony up for the roofrack. Which one did you buy?

I bought this one from amazon. It is supposed to arrive today. I decided on this one due to it receiving good reviews and being about $100 less than Thule and Yakima racks.

http://www.amazon.com/Rola-59759-Roof-Honda-Civic/dp/B009QRWHYK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1397916491&sr=8-2&keywords=Civic+rola+roof+rack

• Like 1

Congrats and welcome to the yak club!

I'll be no help as far as buying racks and such. I'm a DIY guy for the most part... But now that I have a truck, I no longer worry about racks and such.

• Like 1

Congratulations, now you just need someone to paddle you around while you fish and you're set. When I car topped I used the Yakima racks they are very well made, and high quality. You can find them used for a good price. Since I got a Yakima Rack and Roll I hardly ever car top any more.

• Like 1

Congratulations on your 'Yak!  I'm new to 'Yaking myself this season and so far enjoy it very much - a new freedom to explore and fish spots I've only looked at from shore.

A++

• Like 1

Congrats on the yak!!! I am a Jackson Cuda man myself and they make a great product. I am sure you will be very happy.

• Like 1